Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Cruise Control is on the fritz?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 09:53 PM
cmftbll45
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cruise Control is on the fritz?

I drive a 2001 Dodge Stratus SE with a 2.4L 4 cylinder with Dual Overhead Cams. It has about 130,000 miles on it. Recently my car's cruise control has started coming on randomly and setting itself. When it does, I can cancel it with my brake but not the button and I can't turn it off right away and every time it sets my RPMs and MPH gauges drop or spike depending on what speed on driving. When my cruise is set, it unsets and the RPM and MPH gauges do the same thing. When I'm stopped, creeping forward, or backing up when the cruise tries to come on, my car will try to die. If I give it gas while it's dying it will stay running. My check engine light only comes on when the car dies then it starts flashing and the odometer reads donE until I turn the ignition into OFF position. Any ideas on what is going on?

Old 05-06-2013, 08:20 AM
ratsttam
Captain

Sounds like you have some wires shorting out.
Does it do it when you're driving straight, or only when turning the wheel a little bit?
I would look for corroded or melted wires.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:05 AM
cmftbll45

Now that you mention it, it does happen more often when I'm turning. I.e. when I'm pulling into parking spots or turning left across traffic. Scary ... so what wires should I be checking? Is it the wire harness in the steering column? If so how do I get to it?

Old 05-06-2013, 02:58 PM
ratsttam
Captain

You would be looking to most likely replace the "clockspring". It's a special coil of wires that can handle the rotation of the steering wheel. But they do wear out over time.

Old 05-06-2013, 05:13 PM
cmftbll45

I disconnected the clockspring and turned the car on and the cruise still enables (not from the steering wheel) and the car still dies. Could it be the clockspring if I have the problem when it's disconnected. I only unhooked the two wires that plug into these connectors. Click the picture in the link and go to the second view to see the connectors I'm talking about.
http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...g+clockspring#

Last edited by cmftbll45; 05-06-2013 at 05:19 PM.

Quick Reply: Cruise Control is on the fritz?