Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Rear Calipers locking up on my '99 Stratus

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 08:42 PM
kavoni6
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Calipers locking up on my '99 Stratus

Just did a complete brake job on my 99 stratus 2.4L ES. Last Saturday the ABS light came on for a short period of time and went off.

The rear brakes were very hot when I got home. I am thinking a wheel sensor went out. Also noticed I no longer hear the abs system when I come to a stop like I use to. You know that noise they make, not when you are slipping whilg braking, the ratching sound.

Does anyone know how to test the wheel sensors, and would it most likely be the rear ones since it is only happening to my rear disc brakes?

Or do you think it is either the HCU valve or the ABS Control Module?
I can find the HCU Valve but not the Control Module. Does anyone know where that is located on the 2.4L?

When I got home from work last night the rear brakes were hotter than heck. This morning on my way to work I heard a loud metal pop. I wasn't sure if this was brake related or a loose strut plate? So I checked my brakes when I got to work, and sure enough they were cool as normal (front and back). Do you think the loud pop was a stuck HCU valve, or brake cylinder?

So tonight or tomorrw night I plan on taking a multi tester to each wheel sensor and see if any appear to be bad and replace them.

I welcome your thoughts and insight.

Last edited by kavoni6; 05-09-2013 at 10:53 AM. Reason: additional thoughts.
Old 06-02-2013, 08:20 PM
LeviCoffey

that sounds like the caliper piston was stuck, and the pop you heard was it unsticking. hopefully it's back to normal and working now, but i'd be careful w/ it

Old 06-20-2013, 08:13 PM
kavoni6

I finally discovered why my rear calipers were hanging up. The flexible brake line was crimped where it passes through a bracket to keep it from rubbing up against the strut. What happened is it became corroded and rusty around the flexible brake line, and was restricting flow causing the calipers to hang up.
So they simply stuck a flat head screwdriver around the opening to remove the rust and corrosion, and problem solved. The calipers were now free and work properly. The mechanic said this happens a lot on Stratus, Neon and another other similar models.

Attached Thumbnails Rear Calipers locking up on my '99 Stratus-dodge-rear-brakes.jpg  

Quick Reply: Rear Calipers locking up on my '99 Stratus