Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Electronic Control Unit Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 04:54 PM
cmftbll45
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electronic Control Unit Replacement

My car has been randomly shutting off and having many troubles with the electrical. I determined it was a short and that I was not qualified to fix it. So I took it into the shop, one that was recommended to me, and the told me after a day that it needed a new ECU. Then he quoted me $505 plus tax. I can find computers all day long online for $150 to $200 so how complicated is it to install? If I can just plug it in and go then I don't know where all the extra cost is coming from. Is there some sort of calibration that needs to be done to the computer?

Old 05-15-2013, 07:23 PM
BillS
Captain

thats mainly just shop markup ,there not that hard ,they do need to be programmed ,vin#,mileage etc. the place you buy it from usually does this when they ship it (check before you buy),not very hard to replace unhook battery to be safe,mark the wiring harness's so they go back on right ,couple bolts hold it in place

Old 05-15-2013, 08:56 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

What year? 2 or 4 door? Is this the ENGINE ECU you're talking about? Do you have the SKIM key? (grey or black)

Old 05-16-2013, 05:47 PM
cmftbll45

I have a 2001 Dodge Stratus. It is a 4 door and yes I am talking about the Engine ECM. Skim key? I'm not sure what that is. I was warned by the mechanic at the shop that diagnosed my car that if I was planning on doing it myself I shouldn't use a used ECM because they don't work in Chrysler makes. Is this true or could I save a few bucks by buying used or refurbished.

Old 05-16-2013, 07:41 PM
BillS
Captain

Skim key= Sentry Key Immobilizer system its part of antitheft system verifies key info to allow car to start or not ,think module is located on the back of the body control module,not part of ECM, i wouldn't by used then it would have to be programmed, if you buy refurbished check out the company reputation(example better business bureau) try searching company name here also have seen a few posts where someones bought online without problems

Old 05-19-2013, 01:58 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by cmftbll45
I have a 2001 Dodge Stratus. It is a 4 door and yes I am talking about the Engine ECM. Skim key? I'm not sure what that is. I was warned by the mechanic at the shop that diagnosed my car that if I was planning on doing it myself I shouldn't use a used ECM because they don't work in Chrysler makes. Is this true or could I save a few bucks by buying used or refurbished.
The problem you will run into with a used on this generation is the VTSS (Vehicle Theft). If your car is NOT equipped with VTSS and you put a PCM on from a car that DOES have it, the info will be written to your BCM thus disabling you altogether. Then you will have to have a mated pair from one with the same build as yours OR a new pair of both modules.

All of these things they do are designed to deter theft and swapping of stolen parts. It has been stepped up drastically in more recent years.

Last edited by TNtech; 05-19-2013 at 02:01 PM.

Quick Reply: Electronic Control Unit Replacement