Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

hello from Rochester

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 09:49 AM
LeviCoffey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hello from Rochester

Hey guys, new to the forum here, and I am at a loss; really need your help. Lets start with the specifics:
2000 Dodge Stratus ES
2.4L V6
136k miles

Recently started leaking coolant from behind the motor (between the motor and the engine block). I cannot see where it's leaking from, but looking at it from below, it is somewhere ABOVE the distributor, and from above it's completely not visible. My mechanic says it's the "coolant housing", which I've never heard of (I'm not a professional mechanic but I'm not a complete neophyte either), and NEITHER has the parts and service tech at my local Dodge dealership. My mechanic (who says he can see the unit, I cannot) describes it as a unit next to the thermostat housing that has two hoses pressed into it, and he says one of the hoses looks rotten. I don't think he's trying to BS me, because he didn't offer to charge me an arm and a leg to fix it - he literally explained how to disassemble the top section of the block to get to it (and advised I replace the back 3 spark plugs while I was at it since I'd have it apart).

The biggest problem is this - WHAT the heck is the part I'm looking for? I have no pictures and really wish I could take some, but it is what it is. There's coolant on the rear engine mount, it's dripping down the distributor and the transmission pan. It ISN'T gushing, but when it's sitting (running or off) it's a relatively steady drip. If anyone has any ideas, they're welcome :-)

Thanks;
Levi

Old 05-21-2013, 11:22 AM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 335 Likes on 299 Posts

Welcome to DF Levi, I will move this to the Stratus section. They should be able to help you out.

Quick Reply: hello from Rochester