Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2000 stratus front end issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 10:39 PM
LeviCoffey
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2000 stratus front end issues

hey guys, few questions -
1) has anyone found quick-strut type replacements for the front struts for Stratus sedans? the last post on the matter I could find is over a year old.
2) i plan on changing most of the "easy" stuff in the front end before this coming winter - I'm 99% sure most of the stuff hasn't been changed. on my list so far:
brakes
calipers
rotors
cv axles
upper ball joints (can't find any lowers in parts stores, assuming there are none? i haven't taken the wheels off to see)
wheel hubs
3) as far as the wheel hubs go - do the front ones still require a separator? all the parts i've seen online appear to be whole units - to i just undo 3 bolts and replace the old unit with a new complete unit now?

Can you guys think of anything else I might need to change up front? I just did the rear brakes, calipers, and hubs, going to do the rotors in a few months (i ran out of money). thought i was getting a good deal on a low mileage car (135k on a 2000 Stratus 2.5L), wasn't expecting to have to put another 2k into it before the first winter. it is what it is though, lol.
here's a picture of what the left rear wheel hub looked like when i got it off......if you have a weak stomach for car carnage, look away.
2000 stratus front end issues-aw02lqzl.jpg

THESE are the brakes from the driver's side, that the seller SWORE were changed not 8 months ago. the right side was no better

Any advice ANYONE is willing to give is welcome. Except "scrap it"...that's not an option, lol

Attached Thumbnails 2000 stratus front end issues-pwfgaqrl.jpg  
Old 06-05-2013, 08:40 PM
BillS
Captain

is something wrong with the front or are you just changing things to be safe . no one makes quick-struts for the front that i know of ,would cost to much to make, just the front mounts are around $200.00+ each, there are lower ball joints don't think anyone sells seperately have to replace lower control arms. about the only other things on the front i can think of that you could replace would be tie rods,sway bar bushings and end links, the upper control arms there about 25-30 dollars more at autozone then just the upper ball joints cost but you have to take the struts apart to replace

Old 06-09-2013, 05:16 PM
LeviCoffey

i was going to do them just to be safe. i don't have a compression tool, so i'd have to have a shop do the springs/shocks then.....and from what i'm reading it's the same w/ the control arms - something about bolts that are nearly impossible to get out normally?

Old 06-09-2013, 07:12 PM
BillS
Captain

its best to have a shop do the front struts/springs and control arm at the same time, you can get a clamp-on compressor for less then 40.00 ,but its a ROYAL PAIN IN THE BUTT to do, don't recommend ,the control arm bolts are backwards(my opinion) from the factory the head is on the inside so you can't pull it out without taking strut apart,or you can try this was helping a friend replace a control arm, we cut the head off bolt and replaced with slightly shorter bolt from other side without taking strut out of car,never had any problems out of it

Quick Reply: 2000 stratus front end issues