Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

HELP Stratus Won't Crank

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2013, 09:48 AM
mav6759
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP Stratus Won't Crank

I have a 2004 Dodge Stratus that someone tried to steel.. They busted the key cylinder so I had to change the whole steering column.. I picked one up at the local junk yard installed it and now the car won't crank at all, the car won't say nothing.. I took the steering column to a local locksmith and he matched my original key with the lock cylinder that came with the steering column.. The locksmith also removed the guts from the black box on the steering column and exchanged them with my guts.. He said the chip in the key had to match the black box.. With that being said, the car won't say nothing.. The red security light is on (solid not blinking).. the odometer stays lit after the key is removed..I checked all the wiring for proper connection..Im lost HELP.

Thanks Mav

Old 07-21-2013, 12:47 PM
BillS
Captain

have you checked all the fuses incase one blew when they tried stealing it, battery charge cables ,not familiar with the alarm system ,you may have to unhook the battery for 10 minutes ,to reset the body control module to make sure everything's communicating ,also have read the security system may have to be reset by dealer

Old 07-22-2013, 09:26 AM
mav6759

Thank you for your time, Yes I checked all fuses, had the battery checked and recharged at autozone, checked the all the cables, I did unhook the battery for 10 mins, (although the dealership said that with this type of alarm it wouldn't work) When you said one fuse blew when they tried to steal it, are you saying that a fuse automatically blows when this car is stolen because something is keeping the odometer lit after the ignition is turned off, which is draining the battery so I leave the battery disconnected. Do you know of a relay or a bus fuse that can cause this..

Old 07-22-2013, 07:29 PM
BillS
Captain

no there's no fuse that blows automatically, was thinking they could have grounded a wire in the cylinder out when they were trying to steal it. did they give you the right steering column at junkyard think there are several different versions of steering columns and ignition components they make a coupe automatic and a different one for manual and the sedan automatic and different one for manual, the coupe is basically made by Mitsubishi while the sedans made by dodge don't know how interchangeable they are ,might fit but wiring different inside

Quick Reply: HELP Stratus Won't Crank