Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

why does my car get stuck in "limp mode" every time i get off the freeway?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2013, 09:31 PM
Kennethsgirl17
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question why does my car get stuck in "limp mode" every time i get off the freeway?

I have a 2000 dodge stratus ES 2.5L V6 with 4 spd autostick trasmission.. ok everytime i drive my car over about 50 mph when i slow down to 20 my car gets stuck in limp mode (2nd gear), until i turn the car off and turn it back on, then ts fine till i go ver 50 again.. I have changed the solenod pack, and the input and ouput speed sensors. i went and had the codes read the codes came back as P1776 (solenoid witch valve latched in LR position) also got a code of P0700.. Im running out of ideas.. can anyone HELP ME!!!?

Old 07-29-2013, 09:31 AM
BillS
Captain

not very familiar with transmissions did you change the fluid and filter when the solenoid pack was changed ,dodge transmissions are finicky sometimes about the fluid being clean , could be valve body, loose connection transmission wiring harness, try swapping transmission relay in power distribution box (fuse box under hood) with another relay from box ,check all the fuses ,bad transmission computer try searching online for "dodge p1776" will give you more things to check.it might be better to take to dealer or good transmission shop that can access the ecm to see data that set off code they will also tell you if code p0700 is caused by p01776 or something else most scanners can't access p0700 codes

Old 07-30-2013, 10:24 AM
ratsttam
Captain

When you changed the solenoid, did you also refill it with the PROPER fluid (ATF+4)? Also if you didn't remove the old gasket fully, it could be causing a fluid leak between valves causing it to "ignore" the solenoid and go into limp home mode.
This can also be caused by a sticking valve IN the transmission itself, and this will require a transmission shop to diagnose/repair.

Quick Reply: why does my car get stuck in "limp mode" every time i get off the freeway?