Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Strange question... 2002 Dodge Stratus 2.4L DOHC

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2013, 01:28 PM
amiecissell
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Strange question... 2002 Dodge Stratus 2.4L DOHC

Hello fellow Dodge owners... I was wondering if someone out there could answer my question regarding my lovely beast of a car.

I purchased this car 04/12. When I purchased it from a Dodge dealer, the check engine light was on. I asked about it and I was told it was coding as the EVAP system. So, basically I would need a new O2 sensor. As there is not a huge deal on emission and what not in the state of NE, we decided we would fix it eventually. My husband has just never gotten around to replacing the sensor and this light has been on ever since.
On Thursday this week, my car decided to not start. To make a long story short, after we changed the battery all is well! After we changed the battery, the check engine light went off. And 48 hours later it is still off. YAY! My question is why did the light go off? Did the battery dying cause the code to reset? Or will I eventually see this light again? Anyone have any idea? I am finding out that the Stratus definitely has its quirks, so I am just curious what has happened...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated to add to my "things that make you go hmmmmm" file!

Old 09-28-2013, 02:17 PM
BillS
Captain

you might get lucky and it may never come back ,or the conditions for that code haven't been met to trip the engine light yet ,yes usually the codes will disappear when the battery dies, do you know what the code was sounds weird that an EVAP code being caused by a bad 02 sensor , usually EVAP codes are leaks in the system allowing air in examples not putting gas cap on , bad gas cap, damaged rusted filler neck on gas tank(happens a lot on stratus's) etc.

Old 09-29-2013, 12:39 PM
amiecissell

I have had a nightmare buy on this car so definitely not surprising that one more thing they told me is weird or wrong! Lol! They also sold me a car they didnt own the title to & i found out 34 days after the sale when i was trying to plate it! But i did take it to a different mech & it coded EVAP & O2 sensor. Cant remember the cide #s. My husband just told me the light is back on. Think I'll get a new gas cap first & see what happens. Cant believe i didnt think of it before.

Quick Reply: Strange question... 2002 Dodge Stratus 2.4L DOHC