Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Stratus R/T Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2013, 01:27 PM
njrice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stratus R/T Limp Mode

Hey All!
I'm new here and please forgive me if this is a repeated subject. I have a 2001 Stratus R/T. When it's cool everything drives fine. When the car starts to reach normal operating temperature the transmission begins to slip. After about 5 minutes or so it will go into "Limp Mode" and get stuck in 2nd gear. The car will still drive and the speedometer works fine. After it cools down after about an hour it will operate normally again. I have no check engine lights on and I have heard everthing from the TCP, Output/Input Sensor, Silenoid, to needing a new transmission. The guy I bought it from said it needed a new "Transmission Temperature Sensor." Since I have not found anything relating to that name I come here to you fine people for some help. Please help me! Thanks in advance.

Old 10-22-2013, 05:22 PM
BillS
Captain

how's the transmission fluid? full? , burnt smell ?clean ,a lot of times changing the fluid and filter with correct fresh fluid can help . think the temperature sensor would set off the check engine light giving you a generic 700 code on regular scanner ,then a 712 or 713 when read with a DrbIII scanner , believe its by the solenoid not to familiar with the coupes they are basically Mitsubishi eclipse with the stratus name slapped on, might want to try searching for a Mitsubishi eclipse transmission temperature sensor online

Old 10-22-2013, 08:39 PM
njrice

Upon further inspection today I realized that the Check engine light is not coming on at all. When I turn on the car and all of the accessory lights come on the check engine light did not. I took it to get it tested, and the scanner said that it did have a Transmission Temperature Sensor code. I had to order the sensor from the dealership ($30). The fluid is full and doesn't smell burnt at all. I will be replacing the fluid and filter just as a precaution when the sensor arrives. Again any and all info is appreciated. (Thanks for the reply Bill)

Old 10-23-2013, 12:34 PM
njrice

The dealership called me and apologized today that they could not in fact order the sensor. They said in order to get the sensor I have to order the entire Valve Body. Don't have the money for that so I guess Im at square one. Now it doesn't matter if its cool or not it is now stuck in Limp Mode/2nd Gear all of the time.

Old 10-25-2013, 04:12 PM
NH R/T
Amateur

Junk Yard....Theres lots of these TOADS in there

Quick Reply: Stratus R/T Limp Mode