Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Coupe manual pops out of gear

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2013, 06:43 PM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Coupe manual pops out of gear

Hey Guys,

I just looked at and test drove an 04 Stratus R/T coupe with a stick shift. I LOVED the car...107,000 miles, cloth seats, sun roof, Infinity stereo. Drove real nice, but sounds like it needs rear wheel bearings, easy fix, dash is swelled and bulging in areas, not a big concern, but a haggle advantage, Paint/clear is messed up in a small area just above the window on both sides, tolerable, have a buddy that paints, so another haggle point.

My only issue is it popped out of gear a lot in my 10-15 mile test drive. Mostly 5th, just cruising along. At first I thought it was cuz I was going too slow for 5th, cuz I just got through the gears and had to slow for a stop, but it continued to do it. It also popped out of first when I first got into it to take off and another time sitting at a stop light. It also seemed to do it when I was playing around sitting in the car before I even had keys so it wasn't running, and I was not engaging the clutch at that time, so I don't think it is a clutch master or slave cylinder. It did it less as I got more used to it and kinda pushed the shifter harder and held it for a couple seconds, so I dunno if it is just the nature of the tranny in these cars...it has been a while since I drove a stick, and those were all rear wheel drive, so maybe I am just less familiar and it seems odd to me, but just wanted to inquire and see if it may lead to serious issues down the road. I'll prolly still buy the car, but for a steal of a deal if the tranny is destined to blow out.

Other than that it shifted real smooth and drove really well...and FAST. Not fast like my 71 Cuda, but fast enough to play when I get bored and fast enough to zip around the idiot drivers that want to drive 10-15 MPH under and only fractions faster than the person next to them, etc...basically just looking for something to save a little on gas and to keep miles off my truck.

Listed just under $5000, and just mentioned the tranny to the sales guy (seemed like the owner of this small used car lot) and said he can definitely work with me on the price when I told him that I liked the car (but didn't act too eager) and that my only concern is the tranny. He said it did it to him a couple times as well and mentioned second gear. I didn't notice that, but I wasn't in second for very long, and didn't take my hand off, so I would have been prolly holding it in.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thank You in Advance,
Eric

Old 02-15-2014, 09:45 AM
HemiMoparGuy1981
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Browsing Craigs List, I found they still have this car up for sale, though I have been browsing craigs list a few times between OP and now, and it wasn't posted, so they are trying to advertise it again. I dunno if it kinda confirms my concerns with the transmission that they still have this car 3 months later, or if it's just that not many people are attracted to a 2 door stick shift, as it seems many people anymore have no clue how to drive them. Just wondering if anyone can shine some info on my OP.

Thanks

Quick Reply: Coupe manual pops out of gear