Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Getting the P0601 code on our 2001 Dodge Stratus SE Sedan

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2015, 03:49 PM
Stratus0159
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting the P0601 code on our 2001 Dodge Stratus SE Sedan

We have had this '01 Dodge Stratus SE Sedan (2.4L) for several years and have done the usual maintenance on it (timing belt twice, the thermostat, etc.). Had both front lower A arms/ball joints done...but I can't rememer anything else major.

Anyway, over the last year, we have had the recurring check engine light and when we check the code it's a P0601. Two different shops (one of which I trust completely) said that they are positive it's the PCM gone bad. They've checked the wiring, unplugged the battery, etc. and the code keeps comes back.

Apparently there was a batch of Mopar PCMs made about the time this car was built and it's not unusual for them to start throwing this code. That's what I've read, anyway.

The local "Five Star Chrysler Dodge Ram Jeep FIAT" Dealer wants about $1000 for a (new or rebuilt one? not sure which is was) installed and programmed. I hung up after they passed the $200 mark, because, lets face it....$1000 to replace a box on a car with over 200k miles on it?

Hmmm...lets look for another option.

So, it looks like it might be straightforward for me to pull the thing out and get a "rebuilt" one off ebay and stick it in there. I had a buddy with a 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee who had a similar problem...he got one from somewhere...stuck it in there and he's still driving it.

There several folks advertising that they can re-program a used PCM with the correct VIN, mileage, etc. Of course, I have to send them back my old one as a "core".

Anything I need to watch out for? Or is there another solution I don't know about?

Thanks!

Last edited by Stratus0159; 07-16-2015 at 03:53 PM.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:18 PM
BillS
Captain

if they've checked the battery and voltage was good, checked the wiring especially the seals(there was an issue on some models) where they connect to pcm, the pcm is only other possibility , usually needs replacing ,very rarely reprogramming module might solve problem. usually buying off ebay not good unless they can program the vin and mileage for you ,have never used them have seen a few people on here buy from car computer exchange without any problems

Old 07-16-2015, 10:22 PM
Stratus0159

The place I am buying from says the can do the VIN and mileage. I got ahead of myself and ordered it, then found a thread on here that said you can actually get a PCM from Autozone.

Well, wish I had known that.

And yes, the place that checked it for me was actually a Ford dealer, but the have a guy there who is a trained Chrysler tech and he has connections over at the "Five Star" dealer.
They have always done great work for me and are very trustworthy. They scanned for other codes and said it didnt have any. They told me we coudl drive it safely with the P0601 code, but eventually the check engine light will burn out. They also said to get it scanned once in a while, because other codes could pop up. I bought an OBD scan tool recently and saw that a downstream O2 sensor may be failing, which is what prompted me to finally get this fixed.

Thanks for the feedback!

Quick Reply: Getting the P0601 code on our 2001 Dodge Stratus SE Sedan