Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

A/C problems!

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2015, 03:29 PM
redskinfan74
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question A/C problems!

I have a 2002 stratus with the 2.7L V6. I've been have an intermittent problem of no starts. Previously I would get some squealing coming from the area of the a/c compressor. I think the compressor "sticks" and is preventing the car from periodically starting. My question is this: The a/c compressor has it's own belt (not part of serpentine system). can I just disconnect that belt and run the car normally until I can afford to get a new compressor? Any help would be very appreciated!!

Old 08-31-2015, 03:50 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 337 Likes on 301 Posts

If the compressor is the only thing being turned by the belt, sure.

Old 08-31-2015, 06:10 PM
redskinfan74

Well, unfortunately that doesn't seem to be the problem. I just loosened the belt and the a/c compressor spun freely. Also the crankshaft turned, so it's not froze. It will start fine for a couple of days, then it will progressively get harder to start (maybe 8-12 starts) until it doesn't start, but I do hear a single click from the engine compartment when I try. I've pulled the starter and it tested fine. I've also tested the battery and the alternator, both ok. After I pulled the starter the first time, I put car back together and I started right up! Loose wires? I don't know, but no crank at all after it dies, just a click. I also checked the relays/fuses and they all seem fine. Definitely confused???? Please help!!

Old 08-31-2015, 07:04 PM
BillS
Captain

wiring would be my guess ,stratus grounds have a tendency to go bad especially ground from battery to frame ,If you have a meter check the condition of cables

Quick Reply: A/C problems!