Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2006 Stratus 2.4li Blower Motor High Only

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 02:31 PM
nitro7
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 Stratus 2.4li Blower Motor High Only

This Stratus fan only works on high, all other speeds the fan does not work at all. Here is what has been done and troubleshooted.

1. Replace resistor (No change)
2. Replace switch panel (No Change)
3. Change resistor out again. (No Change)
4. Took the switch panel out of another vehicle that I know for fact worked and tried it. (No Change)

May be unrelated, but also noticed if the resistor is unplugged the fan will still work on high. It was my understanding that power comes in to the switch then out of it to the resistor then to the blower motor.

At a complete lost here.
Thanks for any advice.

Clint

Old 09-06-2015, 04:11 PM
BillS
Captain

the high speed bypasses the relay somehow ,have you checked all the fuses ,might try pulling fuse #5 in dash for 10 minutes put back in start car let idle 5 minutes then check fan ,earlier models not sure if it included 06 ,had an issue with body control module losing calibration, have you checked for power at fan connection on lower speeds possible fan going bad to much resistance on lower speeds happened on a friends ford contour was working on only worked on high put new fan in worked fine

Old 09-06-2015, 04:46 PM
nitro7

OK this is even more strange. When I was testing things yesterday after replacing the other resistor, I had the resistor unplugged. I failed to plug it back up. I tested voltage at the fan with the resistor back up and had voltage across the board. I then plugged the fan back up and everything was working properly.

Is it possible having the resistor unplugged also may have reset the BCM?

Or perhaps, I just had a moment of dumbness yesterday, and it was two bad resistors.

All works now to figure out the door lock issue next.

Thanks BillS for your guidance.

Old 09-06-2015, 10:07 PM
Douggro
Rookie

The SOP for the interior blower is that the speed is controlled by modulating the resistance to the Ground side of the blower motor through the resistor pack. When the resistor pack fails, there is no resistance to Ground and the only speed that works is the HIGH setting. If there is a relay is the system anywhere, it's only to trigger and supply the 12v to the blower and auxiliary circuits for the Climate Control system.

You may just may have had a bad connection to or through the resistor pack or to the control unit itself and all your unplugging & plugging of the connectors cleared it up.

Quick Reply: 2006 Stratus 2.4li Blower Motor High Only