Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2.4 cam question

Old 07-13-2016, 12:07 AM
tntractor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.4 cam question

My Breeze needed a head gasket and water pump. So, my son in law did the tear down, and I have worked on assembly when I have time. My question: Should the timing marks on the two cam gears be in alignment at rest? That is, there is pressure from a valve spring that puts the timing mark off the other one. I am wondering if the two cams got mixed up, or is that normal? We are putting the timing belt back on and am having not too much fun doing it. The cams and rockers were laid out in order on a board when I got into the act. Any help would be appreciated. It is a 99 Breeze. The motor is marked as a 00 and the timing set is an 03 (the tensioner has the spring that locks into a notch). Fun fun fun.

Old 07-13-2016, 11:02 AM
Douggro
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

According to the CSM, it's normal for the exhaust gear to be rotated slightly (half a full tooth) clockwise from having the marks aligned on the axis between the center point of both cams. The rotational difference is taken up when installing the belt and tensioner.

The intake cam has a wider thrust bearing face, if that helps determine if you have the cams swapped. And there is a specific warning not to install the cams with any cylinders at TDC.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2.4 cam question