Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Dodge stratus mystery stall

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2016, 12:05 AM
tkw829
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dodge stratus mystery stall

Hello,

I own a 2001 Dodge stratus SE - 4 cylinder 2.4 DOHC - Front Wheel drive - Automatic - USA

A few weeks ago my car stalled while waiting in a McDonald's drive thru. It would not start back up after several cranks so I called for a tow. I was told it would take 30 minutes before the tow truck driver got there. By the time he did get there the car started and ran fine for my 45 mile trip home. The very next day I was able to drive into work(45 miles) with no issue, but on the way back it stopped on me again in slow traffic. This time I decided to wait it out before calling for a tow and low and behold 30 minutes later it started again. From that point I decided to try replacing simple things like the spark plugs, air filter, and cleaning the throttle body. After doing so the car idled better than it had ever done since I owned the car(10 years). I was hoping that would resolve the issue, but it didn't. The very next day during my drive to work it stopped on me, but this time the behavior was different. I tried twice to start it and on the second time it started with no issue and lasted for the rest of the day with no problems including the trip back home. All these random stalls happened while the car was idling and only one time each day. So I replaced the IAC thinking that might be the final piece to the puzzle, but it wasn't. The other thing that is consistent with each stall is that the engine will exhibit a very rough idle almost like a quick rev and drop just before it dies. So my next thought is to check for vacuum leaks. All the videos I 've seen suggest that you should test ahead of the MAP sensor, but as far as I know this car does not have a MAP sensor. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best places to test for vacuum leaks as well as any ideas in general?

Thank you!

Old 09-11-2016, 08:12 PM
dodgegirl!

Hi,
I have a similar problem with 2.4l 98 stratus. After car reaches full operating temp it will quietly stall. CEL on. Mechanic thinks crankshaft position sensor. Further diagnostics will be done tomorrow. Will post findings.

Old 09-13-2016, 05:54 PM
gander4208

Had the same problem with my stratus it was the cam or crank shaft sensor! Good luck

Old 09-07-2017, 04:46 PM
anlake2
Amateur

done and same problem

Old 10-19-2017, 05:40 PM
Mhartline68

Originally Posted by dodgegirl!
Hi,
I have a similar problem with 2.4l 98 stratus. After car reaches full operating temp it will quietly stall. CEL on. Mechanic thinks crankshaft position sensor. Further diagnostics will be done tomorrow. Will post findings.
Originally Posted by tkw829
Hello,

I own a 2001 Dodge stratus SE - 4 cylinder 2.4 DOHC - Front Wheel drive - Automatic - USA

A few weeks ago my car stalled while waiting in a McDonald's drive thru. It would not start back up after several cranks so I called for a tow. I was told it would take 30 minutes before the tow truck driver got there. By the time he did get there the car started and ran fine for my 45 mile trip home. The very next day I was able to drive into work(45 miles) with no issue, but on the way back it stopped on me again in slow traffic. This time I decided to wait it out before calling for a tow and low and behold 30 minutes later it started again. From that point I decided to try replacing simple things like the spark plugs, air filter, and cleaning the throttle body. After doing so the car idled better than it had ever done since I owned the car(10 years). I was hoping that would resolve the issue, but it didn't. The very next day during my drive to work it stopped on me, but this time the behavior was different. I tried twice to start it and on the second time it started with no issue and lasted for the rest of the day with no problems including the trip back home. All these random stalls happened while the car was idling and only one time each day. So I replaced the IAC thinking that might be the final piece to the puzzle, but it wasn't. The other thing that is consistent with each stall is that the engine will exhibit a very rough idle almost like a quick rev and drop just before it dies. So my next thought is to check for vacuum leaks. All the videos I 've seen suggest that you should test ahead of the MAP sensor, but as far as I know this car does not have a MAP sensor. Does anyone have any suggestions as to the best places to test for vacuum leaks as well as any ideas in general?

Thank you!
I was wondering if you ever figured out what was causing the stall?

Old 11-08-2017, 01:45 PM
juancarlos37

Vacuum leaks will not make you wait 30 minutes to allow the engine to start. Instead of trowing more parts at it, please buy a code scanner and learn how to use it. costs about 25 bucks. It will save you a ton of money in the long run. The problem you are describing is caused by defective wiring on the cam or crank sensor. WIRING. Probably not the sensors, so don't change them first.

Quick Reply: Dodge stratus mystery stall