Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2001 Dodge Stratus stalling issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2017, 10:01 AM
tkw829
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Stratus stalling issue

I have a 2001 Dodge Stratus as referenced. It is a 2.4 DOHC. For over a year now I have had a stalling issue when the weather gets warm. Initially I looked at the usual culprits: Vacuum leak, IAC, TPS, CPS. All have been replaced by myself and then a dealer for extra measure. Additionally I covered the basics of ignition coil replacement, spark plugs, air filter, ASD/fuel filter fuses. I was at my wits end until this summer when I decided to fully document a stall to hopefully gain more insight. I hooked up an OBD cable with accompanying software. Additionally I had at the ready equipment to test spark and fuel pressure. I went to a parking lot to force the condition and was successful, but as i attached the cable between the spark plug and spark plug cable something unusual happened. The car started right up. In the past the car would refuse to start for at least 30 minutes. As a further test I decided to leave the hood cracked. From that point on my stalling issue virtually disappeared. The only time it recurred was when I had my A/C going for about an hour. This was with the hood cracked and initially the car refused to start back up. The minute I opened the hood all the way the car started right up. I've come across a link via google that suggested an ECU might be susceptible to heat and starts to malfunction leading to a similar condition. Additionally I have considered the O2 sensor as a possibility. So far what I have learned is that when it does stall, the car will start for maybe a second, but refuse to keep going and then after a few tries it behaves as though it is either flooded or starved for fuel. To me this suggests that spark is present, but maybe fuel is an issue. Because of this I also thought about vapor lock. With the OBD attached I noticed that as it stalled the O2 sensor(bank 1 sensor 2) reported "open loop fault". That's the only thing I've seen. It seems clear that engine compartment temperature exacerbates the issue. I'm well over $1200 into this issue and would appreciate any ideas.