Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Overheating issue

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2017, 10:21 PM
RGeo13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheating issue

Hello all, just purchased a Stratus that has been sitting a while in hopes of nursing it back to health. Fixed the first couple red flags, then drove it on about a 40 minute drive. About two blocks from my destination, sitting at a red light, my temp gauge goes all the way to the top. I pull over, car off and pop the hood, and the coolant is literally boiling in the reservoir. Let it cool and made it home with no issues.

Figured the first thing I'd do is flush coolant and change thermostat. Did that, same thing. But this time, I continued driving. As soon as the car started moving, the temp went back down. It is only when the car is really warm and idling that the temp goes up.

I did some searching and read to check to make sure the fans are both working properly. Recreated the conditions, got the temp to go all the way up, and made sure both fans were on. They were.

Where should I go from here? My brother is chirping ITS THE HEAD GASKET! HEAD GASKET! But I'm finding it hard to believe at this point with literally no other signs of head gasket.

Help please. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 06-12-2017, 10:25 PM
RGeo13

Sorry, forgot some key info. 2005 Stratus SXT 2.4 DOHC with X vin

Old 07-19-2017, 03:07 PM
John Healey
Default Overheating Problem

A thing to check would be the radiator cap also possible air in the system. I have found that to bleed the air try doing before the engine gets hot and the thermostat opens. When replacing the radiator cap there are 2 holes which you can see looking at the spring. Position those so they are close to the hole in the neck on the housing. If yours has the cap on the overflow I am not sure if it is the same. My cap is on the thermostat housing.