Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Intake manifold issue 2002 2.4l dohc

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2017, 04:40 PM
1996Ram318
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake manifold issue 2002 2.4l dohc

As the title says, I have a 2002 Stratus sedan with the 2.4l DOHC engine. About 5 years ago I rebuilt the engine, and it has run good since, but lately I have had a horrible vacuum leak. After some trial and error, I diagnosed it as a leaking intake manifold gasket. Naturally I pulled the intake, put in new gaskets, and it seemed better for a few days. As time goes on however, it started leaking again, small leak at first and getting worse. As you know the manifold is plastic, and the flange where it bolts to the head looks like it has seen better days. Has anyone else had this problem? I really hate to spend $150 at the scrap yard to buy a part that probably is not in any better condition. Is there a way to repair it? I also know that some of the 2.4l engines had an iron manifold, are any of those compatible? I always trust metal a little more. I am used to small block V8s, this thing is like black magic to me. Any help would be much appreciated.