Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

1995 Stratus computer replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2017, 12:21 PM
Mage1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1995 Stratus computer replacement?

Have been told our 1995 Dodge Stratus needs a new computer. 6 cylinder engine. Some symptoms are check engine light is usually on and car dies out occasionally. Mechanic says cannot check codes since computer is bad. Says computer replacement would be about $1000. I did some internet searches, I assume the computer the mechanic is talking about is an ECM? From what I've seen 1995 Stratus ECMs do not have to be flashed? Figure you are talking to a complete novice when it comes to car repair, I can change oil, plugs, filters and basic parts, that's about it. So where is the ECM on our Stratus, how would I take it out, is it just a straight replacement (plug and play?) and where could I get one, most places online only go back to like 1998 models (they want you to send in your old one for repair). Thanks for any input, I could not find any videos or instructions on how to remove/replace the ECM, maybe because it is simple?

Old 10-29-2017, 12:34 PM
TNtech
Site Moderator-Dodge Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

If you buy one online from a remanufacturer, they typically can put the VIN and such in it for you. These are NOT ones you want to go to a salvage yard and get. The BCM and PCM have to be the same type...type meaning anti-theft or NO anti-theft. If you get them mixed up, you can lock your car down and have to end up replacing both of them NEW. Not a fun thing...

Old 10-29-2017, 01:07 PM
Mage1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TNtech
If you buy one online from a remanufacturer, they typically can put the VIN and such in it for you. These are NOT ones you want to go to a salvage yard and get. The BCM and PCM have to be the same type...type meaning anti-theft or NO anti-theft. If you get them mixed up, you can lock your car down and have to end up replacing both of them NEW. Not a fun thing...
Thanks for info, very important. I guess I will contact some of the online sales shops but as I mentioned most only go back to 1998. Maybe one of them can help or steer me in the right direction for a 95. Thanks for your input, I was actually considering picking one up from a salvage yard, figured if it didn't work could always put the old one back in and be no worse off then we are now. But appears that is not the case........... The car does not have anti-theft but as you mention I guess having a professional check the VIN is the only safe way to go.