Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

03 2.4L bucks, stalls, and rough idle

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2005, 01:21 AM
rkirchn
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 2.4L bucks, stalls, and rough idle

I recently purchased an 2003 Dodge Stratus with 57000 on it. It has developed a idle rough, stall and buck or bump shift. The bucking happens when the car is stopped. It was so rough once i thought i was rear ended. I have read many other posts and everybody who takes theres in gets told a different problem that does not correct the issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated, by the way my check engine light is not on.

THANKS.

Old 11-30-2005, 11:47 PM
Rigel
Default RE: 03 2.4L bucks, stalls, and rough idle

I would try some new spark plugs they are due to be replaced every 30K or so and you are about to the third set, and if they are the orginals they could cause your problem. Bad gas and or fuel filter clogged could be a culprit. You are running 87 octane not ethanol right.

Is this the sedan or the coupe that would help to know as well. They are the same car in name only!

Rigel

Old 12-06-2005, 02:02 AM
rkirchn

Its the 4 door, just curious what the differences are im interested in purchasing mods and ive noticed most sites list things for the 2 door.

Old 12-12-2005, 01:45 AM
prowlertech01

check the plugs and see if there is any carbon tracking on the porcelin of the plug,if so replace them with the new replacement ngk plugs also check the plug boots and add some dielectric grease to them ,the factory plug boots dont have enough sylicone in them causing a misfire condition ,allowing the ignition spark to leak past the plug and ground to the head,but also usually will turn on the check engine light...

Old 12-12-2005, 01:19 PM
Sanguinius
Rookie

Does the bucking sound like the engine is hunting at idle? And does it smooth out when you get on the accelerator? If it does I'd say Idle Air Control motor. Might also be a combination of that and possibly motor mounts (due to wear you'd feel it more than if they were good). Also like Prowler and Rigel said check your plugs have them changed if not been done recently as well as wires and fuel filter. But witht he lack of the check engine light I'd say check the IAC as well. A misfire like prowler said will usually set the engine light off.

Old 01-03-2006, 02:33 AM
rkirchn

it smoothes out once you get going

Old 06-03-2006, 01:32 AM
JDAN2626

IN MY 2000 STRATUS 2.4L DOHC THE TIMING BELT BROKE, WE REPLACE THE TIMING BELT AND FOUND THAT THE WATER PUMP PULLEY WAS FROZEN, AND REPLACED IT, THEN WHEN WE STARTED IT IT HAD THE SAME ROUGH IDLE. WE REPLACED PLUGS & WIRES, CAMSHAFT POSITION SENSOR, AIR FILTER, AND AT AUTO ZONE THEY SAID IT WOULD BE THE IAC VALVE. NOW I JUST NEED TO KNW HOW TO GET TO IT TO FIX IT ??

Old 06-25-2006, 12:39 PM
siegie

I am new here and trying to figure out why the car shakes so bad after we thought it was the transmission....but, the car had been towed a few months ago and maybe it could have done something to the front wheels.
what problems could towing cause??

Old 06-25-2006, 03:38 PM
tomthedog
Captain

i have an '02 4dr with the 2.7/auto with about 47k's. i haven't changed the pulgs on mine yet, but i do live in gemany. i drive it on the autobahn which helps keep the plugs in better condition. because you said it gets better as you drive faster (the higher rpm's help with combustion) it leads me to think either lower compression or bad plugs.

just because your check engine light is not on does not mean you do not have "codes" or faults in your computer as only SOME faults cause the light to come on. go to the local parts store and ask them to hook up your car, as they want to sell you parts and will do this for free (pick up a haynes book when you go to the parts store lots of good info in them). get it checked and write back.

Old 09-04-2006, 04:04 PM
kube1989

What was the result for the rough idle after timing belt/ water pump change?

I am experienceing the same issue. I put new plugs and wires in 3 mos. ago.
Problem is only at idel and at stop signs/lights. Fine under accel.

Quick Reply: 03 2.4L bucks, stalls, and rough idle