Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

95 Stratus questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2004, 04:38 PM
iceman33
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 95 Stratus questions

I just bought a 1995 dodge stratus with the 2.4 liter 4 cylinder. I have several questions that maybe someone can answer for me. First, the horns were unplugged so I plugged them back up and found that they are stuck on. I replaced the horn relay and still have the same problem. I can hear the relay switching when I push the steering wheel. Any idea what else may be the problem? Second, My tachometer is not working. When I first got the car, it would work sometimes, but now not at all. Where does the tach get its input from? Third, I noticed that the motor has been leaking oil for quite a while on the back side. The valve cover does have a minor leak, but I don't believe all the oil is coming from that. Could it be the head gasket or what?? The car doesn't lack power, so I wouldn't think it would be the head gasket, right?? Oh, by the way, I've already checked all the fuses for the 1st two questions.

Old 04-19-2004, 12:55 AM
Dodgegirl19
Lady Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: 95 Stratus questions

In that year, the Horn Switch is a part of the airbag... if it's not the Relay, it's likely the Switch and it'll be super expensive to replace the airbag simply for the horn...

I can check tomorrow if the Tach was a seperate instrument on that year or not... it was on some... so I'll get back to you...

The rear crank seal or rear cam seal perhaps could be causing the leak...

~Amanda

Old 04-20-2004, 06:07 AM
Vice King
Rookie

i think she's right about the rear cam seal because i had that problem. they spent 3 hours to unmount the parts 1 hour to fit the new seal in and another 3 hours to mount everything back in. 7hours x $65 labor = $455 + parts ~ $600

[:'(]

Old 05-25-2004, 09:18 PM
wvumtnbkr

rear cam seal or crank seal? These motors don't have a rear seal, they have the drivers side and passenger side seals. The back side of the motor with these cars implies towards the passenger area of the automobile which does not sound likely for the cam or crank to have it's seal. This would be perpendicular to the shaft.

Unfortunately it sounds as if you have a head gasket leak. Check your level regularly (oil) and be sure that there is no oil in the coolant or vice versa. If these are okay, and the car has good power, just keep driving it and top off your oil every now and then.

Rob

Old 08-21-2004, 11:19 PM
Mondo_Banana

the tach problem can be fixed by doing some soldering.

on the back of the instrument panel there are two big blue resisistors and the pcb wiring comes loose. just solder in some new path ways and boom yer tach works again.

i did this and it worked fine, until i tried re calibrating my needle and broke the gauge, oops, ****, life goes on.

hope this helps

Quick Reply: 95 Stratus questions