Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Really puzzling starter problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2018, 02:22 PM
Rick63
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Really puzzling starter problem

OK, I know the wealth of experience here can solve this one!
2002 Dodge stratus 2.7 wont crank with key. I can hear and feel the relay in the fuse box click. I have bench tested the relay and have continuity when it energizes, and I have swapped relays with the same results. I can't get to the starter solenoid without removing an engine mount. BUT, and here is the puzzler, if I pull out the relay and jumper the contacts the engine cranks, even with the key out of the car. So why isn't it cranking when the relay energizes? I do most of my own maintenance and repairs but this has me stumped. Oh, one more thing. This might not have anything to do with it but when I do drive the car the radio cuts in and out. When it cuts out the turn signals won't work and sometimes the wipers.

Old 02-06-2019, 04:43 PM
workin2hard
Amateur

Hey Rick..., dId you ever figure this one out?

Old 02-06-2019, 05:43 PM
Rick63

No, I'm going to replace the starter. By the time I remove the engine mount to access the connections to test it, I might a well just replace it. It's the original starter from '02, so it's due. Still can't figure out why pulling the starter fuse and jumpering the sockets in the fuse box will crank it EVERY time

Old 02-06-2019, 08:25 PM
workin2hard
Amateur

Originally Posted by Rick63
No, I'm going to replace the starter. By the time I remove the engine mount to access the connections to test it, I might a well just replace it. It's the original starter from '02, so it's due. Still can't figure out why pulling the starter fuse and jumpering the sockets in the fuse box will crank it EVERY time
Thanks for replying back. Perhaps it's the starter fuse that's bad. Seems much easier to replace. Is there a way to check the starter fuse? Maybe check resistance and continuity thru the starter fuse?

James

EDIT, I see you bench tested the relay. Since you did this I'm guessing you checked resistance with the relay off the car. Just looked at a YouTube and saw a guy with one relay that clicked but had infinity resistance. Then he checked a second relay that clicked but had little resistance, and this second relay was the good one.

Last edited by workin2hard; 02-06-2019 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-07-2019, 04:41 AM
Rick63

I mean to say starter relay, not the fuse. I have replaced the fuse (even though it tested good), and have swapped out the relay with others that are known good. So it's not the relay or the fuse, BUT when I jumper across the relay sockets it cranks every time. I have a bald spot from scratching my head over this one.

Old 02-07-2019, 09:14 AM
workin2hard
Amateur

I understand that you mean relay. Last night it came to me that the issue maybe the slot that the relay plugs into on the fuse/relay panel /box.

does this relay have more than 2 blades?

EDIT: take a look at this video. https://youtu.be/Pw_iuxjgzyY

Last edited by workin2hard; 02-07-2019 at 11:30 AM.
Old 02-11-2019, 11:09 AM
Rick63

Originally Posted by workin2hard
I understand that you mean relay. Last night it came to me that the issue maybe the slot that the relay plugs into on the fuse/relay panel /box.

does this relay have more than 2 blades?

EDIT: take a look at this video. https://youtu.be/Pw_iuxjgzyY
Thanks for the video. It actually shows everything I've done so far EXCEPT checking to see if the relay is operating when the key is turned. That would explain why a known good relay made no difference. Thanks, you saved me from replacing the starter and still have the problem!

Old 02-12-2019, 08:28 PM
workin2hard
Amateur

Thanks for the video. It actually shows everything I've done so far EXCEPT checking to see if the relay is operating when the key is turned. That would explain why a known good relay made no difference. Thanks, you saved me from replacing the starter and still have the problem!
Wait Rick, does this mean you fixed the issue? Could you tell me what you did to fix it? I saved you from nothing as I know jack about this Stuff. Your starter issue bugged the Frick outta me too.

yesterday the windshield washer pump went out on my 06 stratus 2.4l dohc non interference. I used multimeter to make sure I had voltage at pump. Uggghh. In order to get it: 1. Jack up car. 2. Take wheel off. 3. Remove wheel well. I had voltage to pump, try running pump nothing working. I drain reservoir and remove pump. Look at inlet screen. Found some crap (no clue what it was) blocking inlet. Run water through it and air to blow out some brown/pink crap. Hook into harness. Try dry run the pump worked, reinstall. Refill reservoir and try again and still working.

Hey thanks for getting back here. Hopefully someone with your or my issue will find this thread on a search.

James

Old 02-13-2019, 11:06 AM
Rick63

Well, I haven't fixed it, but now I know what to do. If I can make the starter in every time I jump the the relay conntacts then my starter is good. Just lost sight of that with all the details of troubleshooting. Couldn't see the forest for the trees. The video you sent brought me to the source of the problem - a good relay isn't working when in that particular slot. So the issue is control voltage, not you the starter. You really did save me from replacing the starter and still having the same problem! So. you pump is working now?

Old 02-13-2019, 11:23 AM
workin2hard
Amateur

Well, I haven't fixed it, but now I know what to do. If I can make the starter in every time I jump the the relay conntacts then my starter is good. Just lost sight of that with all the details of troubleshooting. Couldn't see the forest for the trees. The video you sent brought me to the source of the problem - a good relay isn't working when in that particular slot. So the issue is control voltage, not you the starter. You really did save me from replacing the starter and still having the same problem! So. you pump is working now?

Well Rick, glad to hear you have nailed down the problem. Are you going to try a free (if there is one) slot to use for the relay? I'm glad to have helped

pump is working. I'm in n.e. illinois (McHenry County) and windsheild washer fluid has been much needed around here for some time. We got some more snow and will have rain tomorrow.

have a great one,

​​​​​​James

EDIT TO CORRECT LOCATION

Last edited by workin2hard; 02-13-2019 at 12:31 PM.

Quick Reply: Really puzzling starter problem