Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

New to me 2004 Stratus R/T need some advice

Old 04-18-2019, 12:14 AM
'04RedR/T
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to me 2004 Stratus R/T need some advice

Hi guys!

I just recently acquired a 2004 Dodge Stratus R/T 3.0L V6 automatic(no autostick) with 104k miles on it. Have a few brains to pick from owners of these cars. I'm trying to establish a baseline to get the car current in terms of maintenance items. It's in pretty good shape, not an abused car. Cosmetically, the red paint has some small spots where the clear coat is peeling. The interior is pretty clean, there is the common warping of the dash around the defroster and the edge right above the gauge cluster has pulled up. The brakes have a minor pulsation and I believe need to be changed pretty soon, warped rotors and pads. The glove box handle was broken but I managed to score a replacement for $2 out of a Mitsubishi Galant at a junkyard. The car was a one owner and for the most part seems like it was maintained okay, oil changes mostly. The following is what I know has been done during its life:

58k miles: Brakes(not sure what this entailed its just written that way in the notes of the car manual by previous owner)
76k miles: Tune-up
77k miles: New tires
12-30-17: New battery
99k miles/1-5-18: Last Oil and filter change(eek! Its under 5k miles but its been over a year since it was last changed, it is synthetic but its on my list to change oil again asap)

That's all I have for records between carfax and the notes the owner wrote in the back of the owners manual. We are good friends so I can likely ask questions regarding specific issues.

I know these cars are not super valuable and I don't plan to modify other than if something needs replacement and there's an upgrade ill likely try to get the better quality parts. I just don't want to dump excess amount of money into this thing if its not worth it. I've read of lots of owners getting well over 200k out of these cars so I'm optimistic. The big thing I'm worried about is the timing belt. Manual says change at 60k and 120k. No idea if this has ever been done. How much of a pain is this to do yourself? I have access to a shop(no lift) so I can likely do it there but not sure i'd have any specialty tools specifically needed for that.

My plan was:
-Oil and filter change, rotate tires
-Order replacement rotors and pads and install myself. Probably change brake fluid with a turkey baster while I'm at it
-Wash, buff, and wax exterior paint and headlights to remove oxidation and prevent further clear coat peeling. Not sure what can be done DIY to repair clear coat already peeled off.
-Tune-up: Replace Air filter, clean throttle body, possibly replace spark plugs anything else?
-Gather up all the recommended parts to replace timing belt, likely water pump, pulleys, and I've also heard camshaft and crankshaft seals. Call to get estimates on labor, if too high try to do myself.

I'd just like to get this car as reliable as I can, cost effectively, and make presentable. Any recommendations or insight from you guys? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New to me 2004 Stratus R/T need some advice