Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Car Only Starts When You Step On The Accelerator

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2020, 10:09 AM
tomf2011
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Only Starts When You Step On The Accelerator

Hello,

I have a 2002 Stratus R/T (3.0 engine) with 57,00 miles on it. The car has been sitting for 2 years and is not on the road. I've been starting the car regularly to let it run for awhile. The problem that I'm having now, is that the car will " Only Start When You Step On The Accelerator" . It will continue to run as long as you hold down the accelerator, but will not idle. There is no check engine light on, but I've tried resetting the computer anyway. Still the same...

Is it possible that bad gas would cause this problem ? or is there something else I could check?

Any Help would be appreciated !
Thanks

Last edited by tomf2011; 07-17-2020 at 10:17 AM. Reason: Added Engine size
Old 07-17-2020, 02:31 PM
jkeaton
DF Admin
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 349 Likes on 310 Posts

If it's had the same gas in it for 2 years, yes, it could be bad gas.

Old 07-17-2020, 06:36 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by tomf2011
Hello,

I have a 2002 Stratus R/T (3.0 engine) with 57,00 miles on it. The car has been sitting for 2 years and is not on the road. I've been starting the car regularly to let it run for awhile. The problem that I'm having now, is that the car will " Only Start When You Step On The Accelerator" . It will continue to run as long as you hold down the accelerator, but will not idle. There is no check engine light on, but I've tried resetting the computer anyway. Still the same...

Is it possible that bad gas would cause this problem ? or is there something else I could check?

Any Help would be appreciated !
Thanks

Get as much old gas out and put some fresh into it. The ethanol fuel we have now doesn't age well. Especially if you didn't but stabilizer in it. If you put fresh fuel in and it still does it, your throttle plate may be dirty. I'd do the fuel first.

Old 07-18-2020, 08:31 AM
tomf2011
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for Replies !!!

I'm gonna get as much gas out as suggested and also put in a High Octane instead of Regular. Thanks again

Old 07-19-2020, 01:36 PM
ol' grouch
Champion
Received 593 Likes on 538 Posts

Originally Posted by tomf2011
Thanks for Replies !!!

I'm gonna get as much gas out as suggested and also put in a High Octane instead of Regular. Thanks again

Around here, CountryMark premium doesn't have ethanol. It's pure gasoline so I use it in my mowers and chainsaw and such. Beyond that, you won't really gain anything with premium. Premium is just for high compression engines to reduce engine knock. Computers tend to take care of that so fresh, basic 87 octane is just fine. I had a BMW 528i that got more power and better economy with premium but I never saw enough to warrant the extra cost.

Quick Reply: Car Only Starts When You Step On The Accelerator