Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

How do I reinstall crank sprocket??

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2006, 01:50 AM
tacoboy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How do I reinstall crank sprocket??

1997 Stratus 2.0 liter. I have just replaced the crank and camshaft seals and I'm putting everything back together. How do I reinstall the crankshaft sprocket? I have used a piece of PVC pipe, a piece of wood and a hammer to hammer it on thus far but it still has about a half inch to go on the shaft. If I hammer on it more it doesn't seem to go on. If I try to put the bolt in with a spacer, I can't keep the crank from turning and it's useless. Is there a trick to this? Please, if anyone knows, reply quickly! There is snow on the way and I don't have a garage! Thanks!

Old 02-11-2006, 02:12 AM
tacoboy
Professional
Default RE: How do I reinstall crank sprocket??

One thought I had - should I take my torch to it and heat it up? It's pretty cold outside!

Old 02-11-2006, 02:46 AM
Ice_Man_67
Professional

you may end up warping it...........gotta heat evenly

maybe baking in the old oven as high as it goes........then beat it on with wood, worked for my underdrive pulley quite nicely!

Old 02-11-2006, 10:13 PM
tacoboy
Professional

OK, I got it. Thanks to another post I read in this forum - for anyone wanting to know this in the future, I put the crank sprocket in a 500 degree oven for about 50 minutes and that did it - I rushed it out to the car and it just slid on - I didn't even need to hammer it! I will do the same for the crankshaft pulley when it comes time to do that.

Quick Reply: How do I reinstall crank sprocket??