Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

'99 Stratus- chugging

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2004, 11:36 PM
nkeever
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '99 Stratus- chugging

Help. Recently been "chuggin", like it's not getting gas. Especially during idle or fast acceleration. Changed spark plugs and problem seemed to go away for a few days. ???? But problem is back. Mechanic can't figure it out yet. Any suggestions?

Old 06-10-2004, 06:51 PM
Yawman99
Default RE: '99 Stratus- chugging

If you have the 4 cylinder model (2.4) replace the plug wires. I went through two new sets by 90K miles. You will need to replace them every 30k miles.

Old 06-10-2004, 07:53 PM
nitte1974

My car is doing the same thing now.

Old 06-20-2004, 04:51 AM
CloudSportRacer

you sure its not the water Reservoir?? I have the same prob.. Its more of a garggle noise to me though...

Old 06-20-2004, 03:03 PM
deha3u8

Check your fuel pump pressure? If your fuel filter is OK, pull out a manual, and find out what the fuel pressure should be. I know on a lot of port fuel injected cars, you should be looking for anywhere between 35 and 60 psi, depending on manufacturer, and it should hold that pressure 5 to 10 minutes after the key is off. (NOT throttle bodies, they're different. I'm talking multi-port FI) Also, rev the engine...the pressure should maintain itself. If it drops as you accelerate, and the filter's OK, it's probably the pump.

If fuel pump pressure's OK, check the oxygen sensor. It can get crapped up, and cause weird things to happen.

Make sure there are no vacuum leaks..EFI tries to compensate for them, but can't always make up for the un-metered air brought thru a vacuum leak.

Run some fuel out into a clear glass container and let it sit 15 minutes. If there's water in it it'll sink to the bottom. Water doesn't atomize as finely as fuel, and injectors hate it. Water can make an injector act like it isn't firing.

Few things you can look for....

Quick Reply: '99 Stratus- chugging