Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

auto trans shift kit?

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2006, 02:05 PM
kang25
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default auto trans shift kit?

A friend of mine at work suggested I get a "shift kit" for my automatic 02 r/t. He said this would be an addition to a high stall converter? I haven't heard of a shift kit for an automatic, but he claims that is what they are made for and will make the car shift harder with less down time in between gears. If this is the case does anyone know where I can find one. I looked at quaife lsd, but that seems to only be for manual transmitions. any ideas?

I will also be adding a 75hp shot of nos at full throttle above 3500 rpms, has anyone tried nos on these cars? What problems will I run into with that kind of boost? From my understanding a v6 with stock internals can handle around a 100 hp shot from 2500 rpms, so I should be ok right? Any advice would be great.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:16 PM
Z28Stratus
Rookie
Default RE: auto trans shift kit?

Shift kits and stall converters are great. But I've never seen shift kits on a front wheel drive car. My shift kit on my Z28 is great. Loud chirps into second and third gears. Stall converters help because your car will launch where you're making more horsepower. If I was you I'd look into a stall converter but forget the whole shift kit idea.

Old 06-14-2006, 01:40 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: kang25

A friend of mine at work suggested I get a "shift kit" for my automatic 02 r/t. He said this would be an addition to a high stall converter? I haven't heard of a shift kit for an automatic, but he claims that is what they are made for and will make the car shift harder with less down time in between gears. If this is the case does anyone know where I can find one. I looked at quaife lsd, but that seems to only be for manual transmitions. any ideas?

I will also be adding a 75hp shot of nos at full throttle above 3500 rpms, has anyone tried nos on these cars? What problems will I run into with that kind of boost? From my understanding a v6 with stock internals can handle around a 100 hp shot from 2500 rpms, so I should be ok right? Any advice would be great.
the problem with the nitrous is that our ECU is especially unfriendly without a piggyback of sorts. I have spoken to one guy who ran a 75 shot, and it was properly tuned, and when he went to the 100 shot, it melted a piston. what kit are you using, and i hope that youre using one wired into the throttle position sensor?

as for the shift kit and such, i know that they exist for fwd cars, but im ot sure on the stratus. with the high number of guys buiding up v6 eclipses, i would think that someone has to make some trans upgrades. as for the stall, exile racing makes them for lots of other cars, like 1st gen coupes, maybe contact them and see if they have anything for the 2g coupe. it would make a TREMENDOUS difference.

Old 06-16-2006, 01:30 PM
kang25
Professional

I will be using part of a kit off of a v6 avenger, with the missing parts/install/tuneing by the tuning factory in farmington hills. Yes I was planning on having it hardwired into my tps. With a 75hp shot though I should be ok on stock internals I think. Should I also look for a piggyback (where and what kind)? As from what I read, a lot of the piggybacks out there don't read our ecm properly.

Old 06-17-2006, 11:04 PM
kang25
Professional

After a visit to the tuning factory I purchased the apexi s-afcII piggyback. There is a couple of eclipses they have with nos, one with a turbo and that is the one they recomended due to the fact it has two maps, so your fuel can be managed when your nos is on and when the system is off. I will be having it all installed in the next couple of weeks and dyno tuned by those guys. When it's all done I'll post the results.

Quick Reply: auto trans shift kit?