Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Need help with 2000 Stratus audible warning? signal

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 01:36 AM
Senara
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need help with 2000 Stratus audible warning? signal

I had a rather odd occurence happen on the way home from work tonight and hoping someone else has experienced this or has heard of it happening and might know what's going on. I got in the car and started up with no problems, pulled out of the parking lot and got about a block down the road and a high pitched beep came through the dash. Not the stereo speakers. It's not the usual "ding" that you might hear when the key is in the ignition and the door is ajar. It's much higher in pitch. It would beep 3 times and then stop for 10-15 seconds and start up again. It also sounded like the automatic door locks were trying to set themselves locking and unlocking. There were no warning lights on the dash, and all the doors were securely closed and locked.

Drove around the block and stopped at a nearby gas station and called the mechanic who of course was already gone home for the day to see if he might have some ideas. Turned off the engine, popped the hood and checked fluid levels and got back in and this time the high pitched beeping was not present.

Any ideas/suggestions/clues? Otherwise I'm taking it to the mechanic in the morning to have it plugged into the computer to find out.

Thanks in advance.

Old 06-13-2006, 06:54 PM
tomthedog
Captain
Default RE: Need help with 2000 Stratus audible warning? signal

i'm just guessing here. you might check the wiring that goes between your door and body. sounds like you might have a short.

another poss: bad door switch that works sometimes. if it happens again check to see if the dome light is on (hard to notice in the daytime), open and slam the door shut. if this is the fix it should be pretty cheap (part + 0.5-1hr labor). good luck.

Old 06-14-2006, 12:25 AM
B_52
Professional

I'm gonna toss a guess out here, cause I dont know your car or year at all, but I just went through programing my car, and the ECU issues one, two or three beeps as a responce to certain programming items. These beeps are very high pitched, and come from under my insturment cluster somewhere.

Sorry that I cant tell you what the 3 beep mean, but I bet it is some sort of alert from your ECU.

2 cents
Vince

Old 06-15-2006, 01:31 AM
Senara

thanks for your suggestions. I called the local dealership and asked if they have heard of this going on and the service manager has never heard of it before. He said that if nothing else is showing any problems that it's not to severe and that driving the car should be fine. If it should start sounding again though I will be having it tossed on the code reader to find out what the puter is saying. Will keep you updated if I find out anything more.

Quick Reply: Need help with 2000 Stratus audible warning? signal