Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2004 Stratus R/T sedan 2.7 liter engine problems.

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 11:00 PM
20dodge04
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Stratus R/T sedan 2.7 liter engine problems.

Ok, My stratus is acting really wierd. It usually does it after i put some gas into it. Like today for instance. I put in the gas, crank the engine, and pull out. all of a sudden it cuts off, and wouldn't start back. It finally started, and i started driving. BUT, the engine light came on, and the car wouldn't rev past 3000 RPMS. It feels, and acts like the computer is setting the Rev limiter at 3000 rpms, whenever this thing happens. After awhile, it'll rev past 3000 RPM's, but the light will stay on for a day or two. I had the computer scanned, and it said it's a oxygen sensor, and a camshaft sensor. Is it??? It's done it three times now, and everytime it'll fix itself, and not do it for another few weeks. I dont get it. Thanks for all your help.

Old 07-03-2006, 02:35 PM
B_52
Professional
Default RE: 2004 Stratus R/T sedan 2.7 liter engine problems.

Hard to say for sure, but. O2 sensors are a common wear item. Several of my past cars have a recommended replacement of every 75,000 miles. Not sure about your motor. However a car will still run (although a bit rich) the entire RPM range with a failed O2.
I’ve never seen or driven a car with bad crank sensor, but my mind tells me loosing that unit can be extremely detrimental, as it often works with the cam sensor to control all the timing for the ignition. It may be intermittent, or perhaps shorting a lead against something?

2 cents
Vince

Old 07-03-2006, 07:18 PM
tomthedog
Captain
Default RE: 2004 Stratus R/T sedan 2.7 liter engine problems.

bad thing about OBII eng computs is they give a waterfall or cascade result. your O2 sensor MAY be comming up 'cause it's plugged with soot. (pull it and see, you can use a BBQ grill brush to clean). if it is soot, your running rich (but why?).

try changing air filter, plugs, and maybe PCV valve. basic tune-up.

another thing-fuel pump. you have a valve stem on your fuel rail (like on a bike tire), try pushing the stem next time you have issues, it should SQUERT (about 100psi, so do when motor is COLD). hope this helps, good luck.

Quick Reply: 2004 Stratus R/T sedan 2.7 liter engine problems.