Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Removing Door Trim

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2006, 12:30 PM
samerprod
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Door Trim

Ok, I started last night at 9PM (should be in bed by then), when my plans to sell my stratus 2001 started a need-to-fix-all-the-details thing.

The right door bezel - not a problem
The A/C center/right grille - not a problem
Rear left/right power windows - PROBLEM.[&o]

Somehow my two rear powerwindows stop working some time ago, lucky thing they where closed! And Im not talking about the pwr wdow lock, switches seem to work ok since cuz you can see some power being used (dome light changes intensity) but no noise whatsoever.

So I started a web search and came up with this great site. I hope someone can help me figure out how to remove the rear door trim without damage. All four screws where removed, but looks like it is still holding. I am sure my R/C hobbie experience will help me repair the electric motor... if I can get to it.

Anyone?

Old 07-10-2006, 04:59 PM
samerprod
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Removing Door Trim

Thanks for the help [:'(] no one replied! But I want to share my experience...

I DID managed to remove the door trim BY MYSELF and fix my rear power window problem.

First - Remove 4 phillips #2 screws. Two in the bottom (no big deal), one at the door handle and one in the arm rest which are hidden by a little plastic thingy that can be easily removed with a flat small screwdriver.

Second - Pull the door trim towards you. Use a pair of clipers or a large flat screwdriver and find where the fasteners are and pull near them. USE CARE here cuz you might scratch the paint of damage the door trim. Unplug door handle rod and power window switch connector, find the lock on each so you can remove them safely.

Third - Remove the plastic weather cover which is very very VERY fragile. Pull from the edges to detach glue. Have in mind that this part will break in part, but then again it is not visible nor important. It can be replaced with a large plastic household plastic trash bag, but you will need more things (glue, scissors, etc.)

Fourth - Remove 3 nuts (8 or 9mm?) that hold the gearedmotor in place. The part can be moved around with little effort, be carefull not to force too much. Disconnect motor connector and have the phillips #2 motor screws (4 pc) at sight which you have to remove.

Fifth - CAREFULL HERE! You have to remove the motor armateur unscrewing (counterclockwise) the armateur BUT WATCH THE BRUSHES!! Those darn things popped out and they are very very hard to put back in.

Finally you have removed the cause of all your rear power window problems in your stratus 2000. What to do now? RUN TO YOUR DEALER! (just kidding =)

The guys at DODGE seem to have placed a power regulator of some kind here that can't keep up with the regular use requirements. What I did was just put an insulated wire jumper between the connector and the motor brush. With this I've eliminated the little electronic darn thing and if anything the window might go up or down at diferent speeds (depending on what its being used), BUT IT GOES UP AND DOWN! Finally after two years of having the window up...I am able to use it.

This repair is very easy and can be done in two hours or less if you have the tools which are: Phillips #2 screwdriver, flat large and small head screwdriver, pliers, ratchet with 8mm socket and welding gun.

Put back every thing just the way you removed, except for the motor armateur which you will have to loosen (do not remove) the gear box nuts so that it can be placed inside again.

Good luck! and Have Fun!.

Samerprod.

Quick Reply: Removing Door Trim