Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

HELP with my 2004 Stratus ES

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2006, 06:27 PM
merlin51685
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP with my 2004 Stratus ES

OK, Lately i have been having this problem with the car...I have a 2004 Dodge Stratus ES. Sometimes when i drive the engine skips..and usually that will set the service engine on. Now when i'm on the freeway going 60mph the egine will skip. That only happens once in a while.. Also when the engine skips and the engine light gets trigger i usually have problem with accelerating..(i.e.) the service engine light is on..i stop at a red light and usually the engine would just cut off. not to mention when i step on the gas paddle and the rpm reaches 3 it stalls..now keep in mind that only happens when the engine light goes on...also when i try to start the car the engine has a hard time starting..but once the engine light goes off after driving for an hour or so everything goes back to normal...it's really annoying. OK so i bought a OBD2 reader today and it said that i have a PO 340- camshaft position sensor malfunction..what should i do.

Old 07-10-2006, 04:11 PM
ozmatoz
Default RE: HELP with my 2004 Stratus ES

My wife's car just started to have the same problem when coming to a stop, or turning into a parking space at slow speed. No issues at highway speeds though. I was also getting the P0340 code as well as P1684, which I have no idea yet what it goes to. No problems re-starting the car, and the check engine light also goes away after awhile. This just started happening so I dont have a solution yet, if I find out something I will let you know. If you find something please share!
Wife's car: 2004 Stratus SE 2.7L, approx 65,000 miles.

-Oz

Old 07-10-2006, 04:37 PM
tomthedog
Captain

follow the code. both of your rides are pretty new to have cam sensor go bad. locate the sensor and trace the wires to look for rubbing, shorts, and just bad wires. might try unplugging and cleaning contacts or resetting the computer (MIGHT help....maybe). i've had no probs with my 02 2.7 se but the a/c blower motor. any TSB's on your year?

Old 07-14-2006, 01:39 AM
merlin51685

thanks..but it doesn't seem to help..and plus with cars this new it's abit clueless where things are... i haven't even reached 46 thousand miles yet and the car is acting up...i just really want to run this car into a ditch or a wall..hehe..but any more suggestion will be nice...just wanted to know the simple stuff first before i take it to a chop and you know what's going to happen when you do..they charge and do all sorts of crap that you didn't ask them to do...well thanks..

Old 07-14-2006, 04:23 PM
srogers

I had this same problem with my 2002 stratus. I finaly replace the cam and crankshaft sensors myself. Car ran fine for about a week. then the damn thing started to do the same thing again. I said screw this took it to a shop. My wires that came off my cranks shaft sensor where shorted out.

The dude at the shop also told me. You can replace the sensor yourself, but you can't time it, basicly position it where it needs to be so the engine will run on time.

So now my car is better, got the damn light on still though. The guy at the shop said that error is my engine and trans don't like one another or their modules dont. But the car runs good, just has a little harder shift sometimes.

My camshaft sensor was on the drivers side, top front of the engine. can't miss it. looks like a circle with a block attached to it. check the wiring before you do anthing else. could just be that.

Quick Reply: HELP with my 2004 Stratus ES