Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Timing belt Popped- No Bent Valves

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2006 | 02:03 PM
krs_si
|
Default Timing belt Popped- No Bent Valves

Its been about three weeks now and my car is finally back on the road. A few week back, my timing belt popped and I initially thought i was gonna need a new motor. I had the car towed to the dodge dealership and they kept telling me that if the belt popped I would surly have bent valves. They wouldn't even check, they said they just knew because the 03 stratus has an interference motor. I just couldn't convince myself to spend nearly 4k on a new motor so I had it towed to a local garage and had the belt changed for 250. The car drives fine. The dealer is such a rip off.

2003 Stratus SE 2.4

Old 08-05-2006 | 12:38 PM
tomthedog
Captain
Default RE: Timing belt Popped- No Bent Valves

good to hear. 99.9% of the time the valves do get bent with an interference motor. every now and again you will here of a story like yours, norm the belt breaks at low speeds. how fast was the motor going when the belt broke?

Old 08-21-2006 | 02:21 PM
darkblueta

If you have the 2.4 DOHC engine, I believe it is not an interference engine. Case in point, the belt just needs to be replaced with the cams/crank all lined up. Congrads on that though. Before my Wife left Vegas to move to FL with me, the shops out there quoted her 800.00 to do it. [sm=smiley21.gif] My father and I did it in less then 3 hrs.

Old 08-28-2006 | 05:32 PM
etbardensxt

The 2.4 is NOT an interference engine, but like any engine you still have the possibilty of going wrong. This link explains everything about it. http://www.mopar.com/street/tech1000.htm

Edward

Quick Reply: Timing belt Popped- No Bent Valves