Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Service engine light

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2006 | 02:03 PM
munstrp
Default Service engine light

Hi all,
I'm new to the board and have a question. I have an 03 Stratus R/T Coupe that has been a dream to own until now. About 4 months ago, my 'service engine soon' light came on. We took it into a dealer and they told us it was because we had an aftermarket locking gas cap on the car. We removed the cap, replaced it with the original factory cap and all was good for a few weeks....on comes the light again. We took it back again and the computer read there was a massive air leak in the emissions. The shop couldn't find a leak, turned the light off, and off we went for over 600 miles and....BAM.....the light is back on again!! What else could be causing this problem?? We're at wits end with this because we can't figure out what the problem is and the little red light staring ya in the face is quite annoying LOL Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/42206/3FCFCA71F8104F44BF7BE13B63C8B816.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-18-2006 | 07:58 PM
tomthedog
Captain
Default RE: Service engine light

SOME times if you don't close the gas cap REAL tight it can set off the light. pull the gas cap and look at the O-ring to make sure it is not riped, cut, or torn(letting too much air in to the gas tank). if the cap is not tight enough it will set off the check light. make sure you hear 4 "clicks" when you close the gas cap. if the prob comes back LET US KNOW!!!!! good luck.

Old 08-18-2006 | 08:09 PM
dodgedlr
Veteran

The aftermarket cap could have caused it - no doubt about it - I would leave that off.

Those EVAP leaks are very hard to find.
The scan tool will tell if it is a small, medium, or large leak detected.
A "large" leak can be triggered by a cracked - not broken - cracked, hose. So you can imagine how difficult it can be to find a small or medium leak.
We have had many small leaks that all we can do is reset the light for the customer. Even after filling the system with pressurized smoke it can be very hard to find.

Old 08-28-2006 | 11:47 AM
munstrp

Thanks for the advice from the two of you....I really appreciate it!! We went through and made sure all the hoses were tight and gave it the once over to make sure things were in place and the gas cap (factory cap) was on real tight. After that, we disconnected the battery to shut the service light off. As of today, two weeks later, no light!! I'm hoping there was something loose that the shop missed in it's check and things are good to go. We had an appointment scheduled this past Friday but didn't need to go with the light being off still. Fingers are crossed that it was just something that wasn't quite where it needed to be!!
Thanks so much again for the help!!!

Old 08-28-2006 | 08:01 PM
01indigoR/T
Professional

hey, the same situation came across my sis and her 00 grand am gt. we replaced the gas cap, checked all the lines and the light kept coming back. i went to a buddies garage and he hooked a machine to the gas vaccum lines, the return lines as well, up to a device that sent white smoke through it under pressure. the smoke started coming out of everywhere. i had to replace a couple valves and also the goose neck from the gas cap to the tank. a little whole like that can send a reading to the cencor causing the light to come on. nothing major though. i would have your garage check the vaccum lines with this test, it may help you solve the problem, sound like it the same situation.

Quick Reply: Service engine light