Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

96 Stratus Evaporator

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2004, 01:20 AM
fd3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 96 Stratus Evaporator

I have a leaking A/C evaporator in a 96 Dodge Stratus 2.4. I was wondering if anyone has had experience changing one. If anyone has a factory shop manual and can scan the pages associated with removing it, that would be great. (send scans to jjsolis@sbcglobal.net) I need to know if the evaporator/heater core box will drop down below the dash or does the dash need to be removed to get to it.
Thanks,
Joel

Old 07-24-2004, 03:58 PM
JCswm
Veteran
Default RE: 96 Stratus Evaporator

I swear those cars start out an an evap core going down the assembly line!!!!
UNIT HOUSING
REMOVAL
The heater core may be removed without removing the unit housing. Refer to heater core replacement in this section.

Disconnect battery negative remote cable. This must be done to prevent accidental air bag deployment
WARNING: AVOID BREATHING A/C REFRIGERANT AND LUBRICANT VAPOR OR MIST. EXPOSURE MAY IRRITATE EYES, NOSE AND THROAT. USE ONLY APPROVED SERVICE EQUIPMENT MEETING SAE REQUIREMENTS TO DISCHARGE R-134a SYSTEM. IF ACCIDENTAL SYSTEM DISCHARGE OCCURS, VENTILATE WORK AREA BEFORE RESUMING SERVICE.

R-134a SERVICE EQUIPMENT OR VEHICLE A/C SYSTEM SHOULD NOT BE PRESSURE TESTED OR LEAK TESTED WITH COMPRESSED AIR. SOME MIXTURES OF AIR/R-134a HAVE BEEN SHOWN TO BE COMBUSTIBLE AT ELEVATED PRESSURES. THESE MIXTURES ARE POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS AND MAY RESULT IN FIRE OR EXPLOSION CAUSING INJURY OR PROPERTY DAMAGE.

Using an A/C recovery unit, remove all R-134a refrigerant from the A/C system.
Remove air cleaner hose and air distribution duct from the engine.
Drain the engine cooling system.
Disconnect heater hoses at the dash panel. Plug the heater core inlet and outlet tubes to prevent antifreeze from spilling on the vehicle interior during removal. If an appropriate plug cannot be found pull back carpet and use caution when removing unit. Keep the heater tubes elevated to prevent spillage of coolant.
Remove both A/C lines from expansion valve. Use Special Tool Kit 7193 to disconnect quick connectors on A/C lines. Refer to A/C line removal in this section for complete procedure. After removing lines cap the expansion valve openings and the A/C hose openings. This will prevent any dirt or moisture from entering the refrigerant system during servicing
CAUTION: The lubricant used in this air conditioning system absorbs moisture readily (similar to brake fluid) Do not leave any portion of the system open for extended periods of time.

Remove trim bezel Trim Bezel
Remove cluster hood bezel retaining screws in the trim bezel opening Control Module Screws
Pry up the cluster hood bezel a few inches to expose the cubby bin/cigar lighter bezel screws.
Remove the cubby bin/cigar lighter bezel and wiring.
Remove the control module retaining screws.
Drop the A/C control module into the cigar lighter/cubby bin bezel opening Control Module At Bezel Opening Then disconnect the wiring on the rear of the control module.
Release the cable clips from the top of the control module. Retain the clips for future use. Then disconnect the temperature control and recirculation control cables.
Remove the control module.
Remove upper instrument panel bezel.
Remove right and left instrument panel end caps.
Remove left lower knee bolster. Disconnect mode door motor wiring.
Remove right and left interior door post kick panel.
Remove front and rear halves of floor console.
Remove the radio.
Remove right side lower silencer/duct.
Remove glove box assembly.
Remove right side vertical support strut brace.
Remove left side vertical support strut brace.
Remove center lower distribution housing.
Remove bolts securing Heater-A/C housing to metal I/P frame.
Remove upper instrument panel cowl trim cover.
Disconnect steering column from instrument panel. Lower steering column.
Remove instrument panel bolts at cowl fence.
Remove bolts at lower A-posts.
Remove instrument panel frame and wiring.
Remove bolts securing Heater-A/C housing to cowl.
That gets the Box out, Then........

Remove A/C housing from vehicle A/C Housing Refer to Heater-A/C Housing Removal and Installation in this section for procedure.
Remove recirculation door inlet cover.
Remove evaporator temperature probe.
Remove clips retaining evaporator housing to heater/distribution housing Housing Clips
Separate evaporator housing from heater/distribution housing Separate Housings and Housings
Remove seal around evaporator tube inlet.
Remove evaporator housing upper cover Evaporator Housing Upper Cover
Lift evaporator out of lower housing Remove Evaporator From Housing
Remove styrofoam seal around evaporator.
Transfer evaporator sensor. Place the evaporator sensor in the same location as on the previous evaporator.

INSTALLATION
To install, reverse removal procedure. Verify that the cables are properly adjusted and the control module is seated properly.

CABLE ADJUSTMENT
The cables must be adjusted for proper function of the control module. To adjust the cable, attach the cable to the lever arm of the control module. Turn the **** fully counterclockwise. Pull the cable jacket away from the cable end until taut. Clip the cable jacket to the control module. The **** should travel a full 180° if the cable is properly adjusted.

GOOD Luck, I've done several. They are NOT FUN!!! Takes me almost a full day!!!!

Let me know If that helps,
John

Old 07-24-2004, 05:45 PM
fd3
Default RE: 96 Stratus Evaporator

Thanks JCswm! I figured the dash would have to come completely out... Sounds tedious but not impossible. I' m going to tackle it next weekend. I appreciate the detailed reply. I'll let you know how it goes.
Thanks again,
Joel

Quick Reply: 96 Stratus Evaporator