Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

97 Strat parking brake problem?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006, 12:57 AM
tacoboy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Strat parking brake problem?

OK, 97 Strat, 130k. Just did rear brakes over the summer and everything has been fine up until last Thursday. Long story short, right rear brake dragging on the highway, heated up until it started smoking. Afterwards, the fluid had all been drained out because the wheel cylinder boot gave out (from the ensuing heat I imagine). Consequently I had to drive home with no brakes.

Looked at it the next day - all springs in tact, wheel cylinder end popped and brake shoes were down to nothing. Still no root cause for what had happened. I put a new wheel cylinder and shoes in (and while I was at it I replaced the hub bearing assemblies). Went to put the drum back on and it won't go on. Adjuster was all the way in. Took apart and redid everything - still won't fit. Redid everything again, this time I took the parking brake cable off of the trailing shoe. Drum now goes on.

Not sure how this failed suddenly when that morning I had driven to work just fine. When I actuate the parking brake lever not much happens. I disconnected the cable and it lays there now disconnected. At least I can still drive and the other side grabs when I set the brake.

Has anyone had a parking brake cable go on them? By the Hayne's manual, it looks to be a PITA to replace.

The parking brake lever is disconnected on that side so I can drive the car. I don't think there is any concern that it could get in the way of the hub or drum while driving but is there? It's pretty short and stiff and didn't seem like it was going anywhere or sticking out toward the hub. Anyone replace a parking brake cable before?

TIA

taco

Quick Reply: 97 Strat parking brake problem?