Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2001 Stratus: Heater blows strong, but not hot

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2006 | 12:07 PM
Darkmist00
Default 2001 Stratus: Heater blows strong, but not hot

Hello all,
First time poster, but I'll get right to it. My brother has a 2001 Dodge Stratus SE, 4 cylinder 2.4L SOHC. Yesterday he surprised me with his dilemma; his radiator cracked about a week ago, to which he added the radiator sealant to and has been driving around for a week on. Since adding the sealer, his heater blows strongly, but without getting heated. Last night he and I spent the time to put in a new radiator, thermostat, and hoses. We wrapped up just after it got dark and thought that everything would return back to normal. He turned the car on, let it warm up a little, then we drove it for a good ten miles to see if the heater would fix itself, air bubbles would purge through the coolant system etc.. well, the heater blows stongly or atleast air passes through the vents strongly, but the temperature never goes up.

I'm thinking that there is a problem in the heater core, needing to be flushed or cleaned since he added the sealant I think it could've cause a build up of gunk, blocking the core. It might sound pathetic that I can replace a radiator and thermostat, but be clueless on the heater core, but it's true. I've never had to do this before and don't know where the heater core is, what it looks like, where the lines are or how to do this. If anyone can help I'd appreciate it.

Just helping my brother out.

Old 11-14-2006 | 11:41 PM
tomthedog
Captain
Default RE: 2001 Stratus: Heater blows strong, but not hot

sound like the heater core is clogged. first thing to try is to have the coolant system flushed as this might save ALOT of work. if you have to change the heater core your pretty much have to pull the whole dash apart (giant pain). i would recommend getting a haynes book at the local parts store before starting. you might be able to save the heater core after removal, but you would have to bypass the coolant route under the hood (norm can be done by using just one of the coolant hoses and removing the other, bypassing the core). good luck.

Old 01-18-2008 | 11:40 AM
shelleyelise90
Default RE: 2001 Stratus: Heater blows strong, but not hot

i have an 01 stratus and have the same problem! theres been 3 thermostats in it and the system has been flushed-so ive been told the only other probelm with it is the heater core. i need to sell this car so i can get something that will pull a horse trailer...would it be more expensive to replace it myself, pay for it be fixed, or to just sell it as it is?

Quick Reply: 2001 Stratus: Heater blows strong, but not hot