Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Possible wheel baring going? Axle? I have no clue!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2006, 06:30 PM
01indigoR/T
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possible wheel baring going? Axle? I have no clue!!

i have an 01 R/T, im hearing this howling/metal to metal noise coming from the front end. I dont feel anything in the steering wheel, or in the brake pedal when im driving. It makes the noise at all speeds. The noise changes slightly when i turn the wheel around corners but just slightly. It doenst change when the car shifts and it doesnt change when i apply the brakes. That rules out the brakes and the tranny. I know my pass wheel baring was moving a little over the summer but at the time it wasnt anything to worry about. I had a buddy check it out yesterday and it wasnt moving anymore than it was over the summer. Everything on the front end is tight and lubed properly. Im thinking it may be that baring. Its driving me crazy, anyone have an ideas on what it could be? thanks

Old 12-07-2006, 06:45 PM
krs_si
Default RE: Possible wheel baring going? Axle? I have no clue!!

More than likely its your wheel baring. I experienced that same sound sound on my car and I replace the front barings and it solved the problem.

Old 12-07-2006, 07:05 PM
02sxtstrat
Amateur

I kind of have the same problem. Does the sound you hear sound like something is loose because thats the sound that I hear. Like a brake pad touching the rotor just slightly. I took into the shop and had it looked at and the tech couldn't find anything wrong. Drove around with the manager he couldn't hear noise either. This noise only comes between 45 mph and over. I thought it might be the wheel bearning as well. Is there some way to check your wheel bearings to see if they are going bad.

Old 12-08-2006, 12:19 AM
01indigoR/T
Professional

easiest way to check the wheel baring is to jack the front end up, grab the tire you wanna check and wiggle side to side or up and down, if it moves youll know, if it doesnt then its still good and tight

Old 12-08-2006, 02:20 AM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

shaking down the front end would only work if the wheel bearing was VERY bad. it doesnt take much wear for it to make noise. when a wheel bearing goes bad youll get a "whirring" noise.

Old 12-08-2006, 04:32 PM
deuce

Had a similar noise that started this week. Everything was tight, even the wheel. Decided that when doing S turns, going right sounded worse so decided to pull the left wheel hub. That turned out to be the problem, and like what was said in an earlier post, if you catch it early the wheel won't wiggle when you try it. After replacing the bearings sound is gone.

Quick Reply: Possible wheel baring going? Axle? I have no clue!!