Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

something doesn't seem right here...

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2006, 06:23 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default something doesn't seem right here...

ok well we just picked up our 05 Stratus like 6 weeks ago and it had 26,000 on her...she now has 28500 on her and she needs oil bad!...now then we're going to be taking her into the dealership on Monday morning for them to look it over since the engine is still under warrenty...but what would be causing this? do the rear main seals on the 2.4Ls normally go bad? or what? cause i dont want the dealership to be like well this is the problem and blah blah blah and then charge us cause its not under warrenty and yada yada yada...

also what type of oil should i add? in the owners manual it saids 5w-20 or 5w-30, on the oil cap it saids 5w-30 but i dont want to add oil and then say that i added the wrong and balh blah blah...

Old 12-08-2006, 07:36 PM
DevilsReject
Noob Assassin
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: something doesn't seem right here...

ORIGINAL: neoncrazy101

ok well we just picked up our 05 Stratus like 6 weeks ago and it had 26,000 on her...she now has 28500 on her and she needs oil bad!...now then we're going to be taking her into the dealership on Monday morning for them to look it over since the engine is still under warrenty...but what would be causing this? do the rear main seals on the 2.4Ls normally go bad? or what? cause i dont want the dealership to be like well this is the problem and blah blah blah and then charge us cause its not under warrenty and yada yada yada...

also what type of oil should i add? in the owners manual it saids 5w-20 or 5w-30, on the oil cap it saids 5w-30 but i dont want to add oil and then say that i added the wrong and balh blah blah...
You run what the cap/owner's manual says to use.....

That said, who knows if they changed the oil prior to the car or if it was low on oil prior to you picking it up......also......it could be a leak. Another thing to always check/know, is what kind of oil is in the vehicle prior to putting/changing the oil in the car.

I recently traded my Stratus R/T in, and I run full synthetic. Once you go synthetic...you cant go back to normal oil...it will destroy the seals. Now, I made sure to inform the dealership of this fact, so that they dont make the mistake of damaging the vehicle. I also made sure to leave a note in the leather case for the owners manual stating the same thing.

Old 12-08-2006, 08:11 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

before we got it it did get its oil changed... i asked the sales guy and he said that the moment any car is traded in it gets all its fluids checked and changed...and i checked the oil the second week and it was fine so...

Old 12-09-2006, 11:13 AM
superbee69
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '95 Status w/ 2.4 motor and it has 138k on it, original owner. Back at 50k I had a similar problem and it ended being a head gasket. I believe this was the first year the 2.4 came out and they claimed that the new gasket was thicker. Not sure how much of that was b.s., but haven't I a problem since.

Old 12-09-2006, 05:53 PM
neoncrazy101
Champion

well my sister just took the Stratus and as she was driving away it was blowing white smoke...now i know its winter and thats normal....but i just tested 3 other cars, and only 1 of them blew white smoke out, and that was our car that i know has a hg failure/leak/burning oil... so yea...the Stratus is expecially going into the shop on Monday...

Quick Reply: something doesn't seem right here...