Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

O2 sensors and replacement

Old 12-22-2006, 01:13 PM
goodenkt
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default O2 sensors and replacement

I am getting error codes telling me that I have 2 bad oxygen sensors; Bank 1, Sensor 2, and Bank 2, Sensor 2. I would like to replace them myself but am having a helluva time finding all of the information I need. So, my basic questions are:

How many O2 sensors does my 2001 Stratus Coupe (3.0L V6) have; 2 or 4? Second, where are they located? I've located two of them, so if there's only two, I guess the problem is solved. If there are four, I still need to find the other two. Also, if there ARE four, which one is Bank 1 Sensor 1, Bank 1 Sensor 2, etc.?

Thanks for your help, everyone!!

-Kenny

Old 12-23-2006, 05:19 AM
Jrseykid686
Professional
Default RE: O2 sensors and replacement

as far as i know there are 2, i have 2 bad ones now as well as a cat all thanks to the dealer not replacing them together like they were suppost to.... court date on the fifth.... enough said

Old 01-18-2007, 04:40 AM
Jrseykid686
Professional

Ok, well court went well. There are 4 sensors on the stratus. You are blowing your downstream sensors (just past your cats) probably becuase your cats are bad. To get those replaced is going to run about 400 bux normally for just the sensors. A simple fix is pick up one O2 sensor simulator that can run 2 downstream sensors. I picked one up for 24.99 with free shipping. a few wires to the downstream sensors (plugs are under the hood and real easy to get to just follow the wires up from the downstream sensors) and your problem is solved. The o2 sim will tell the computer that your getting perfect results from your cats which will make the car run fine with no codes. These cars have 2 cats. If you look under your hood in the front of the engine just coming off of your manifold you have your Bank 1 cat with your bank one sensor one up on top, and bank 1 sensor 2 just below that cat. The second cat you need to jack up the car and look. This one will be about 1/4 of the way back on the car running from a pipe from the exhaust up to your manifold. This is bank 2's cat. your upstream is above that and your downstream (bank 2 sensor 2) is just below your bank 2 cat. If your sensors are blowing becuase of your cats... if its not under warrenty, those will run you well over 1200 bux to get replaced. I would suggest the o2 sim and 20 minutes of your time to fix the problem. Let me knowif you need pictures of the wires to connect to... its real easy.

Old 01-20-2007, 02:38 AM
drchance

That was good information on the number and location of the O2 sensors. Many online auto parts stores sell replacements at a reasonable cost.

Again, good information ... at least up until that part about a recommending an O2 Sim to bypass the intent of the emissions system. Maybe I misinterpreted the response but the use of an O2 Sim to pass an emissions test would not only be illegal it's also like saying "screw the ozone".

Old 01-20-2007, 05:00 AM
Jrseykid686
Professional

my state doest have testing on cars... and you wont pass with an o2 sim unless your cat is working. The problem with my car is that it is working, but not 100 percent of what it should, which in the long run will blow more sensors a few months down the road. I am not about to spend 800 bux per cat to get it replaced... i am a paid on call firefighter, believe me if i had that money i wouldnt be driving this car. I love the car, dont get me wrong, but i am a truck guy

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: O2 sensors and replacement