Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Squeaking in steering on L side; '02 with 70Kmiles Help!

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2007, 03:39 PM
frankenbeans
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeaking in steering on L side; '02 with 70Kmiles Help!

Hi all, first time poster here -looks like a great forum. I already spotted a question about headlight replacement I think I can help with. After I'm done this post I will head over to that one!

Problem is this: 2 days ago, I noticed kind of a swishing sound when turning in either direction in forward or reverse. (By turning, I mean turning the wheel, not the car turning with the wheel held at a constant angle) The sound seems to be coming from the generalarea of my left front wheel. There appears to be no change in the performance of the steering, it's not getting hard to steer, there is no vibration noticed. It seems to be the same at any speed.

I work about 60-65 hours per week (don't ask) and so I decided to wait until this weekend to get it looked at given it is not seeming to affect the driveability or the safety of the car.

I noticed the swishing is turning into more of a pronounced squeaking sound. The pitch of the squeak is dependent on how fast the wheel is turned (turn it faster and the pitch is higher). Also, it used to be only noticeable on extreme turns, now it is any wheel movement. I may even hear a little of the same sound coming from the slight "bouncing" you get travelling over bumps. I know the car should not bounce, but that's the best I can describe it.

One last thing that may obviously be related or may not be at all: The night before I was travelling up a hill on an unfamiliar road and there was an unexpected levelling off (due to train tracks) before the incline resumed, so I hit a little hard, though I don't think I bottomed out. I did not notice the sound at that point, but I did have music playing...

I have searched the web for similar symptomsand I'm at a loss... Does anyone have any idea what the problem is, any vague idea on what a repair would involve or approximately cost? At a minimum I'm hoping I can determine that it is safe to drive with the sound until I can get it in to the shop later in the week. Is this something any shop should be able to handle or do I really need the dealer on this one?

Thanks very much in advance for any help. I would be happy to offer any more details needed.

Todd

Old 01-09-2007, 10:54 PM
01indigoR/T
Professional
Default RE: Squeaking in steering on L side; '02 with 70Kmiles Help!

what are the condition on your front brakes? it may be the noice your hearing. when the brake pads get low there is a sqweeler on them to warn you to change them soon, something to look into, hope this helps

Old 01-09-2007, 11:22 PM
frankenbeans

Hi,

Thanks for the reply - I'm pretty sure it's not the brakes. I have had that before and know how it sounds. This kind of squeaking sounds like the kind you get when the door hinge needs lubrication (but it's obviously not the door hinge). And wouldn't it mostly squeal on braking? This noise is independent of whether the brakes are used, the only variable seems to be if the steering wheel is turned.

By the way I checked the power steering fluid, it was a little low, but not to the ADD line - I topped it off anyway but it did nothing.

I think I'm going to jack it up and have someone turn the wheel while I listen for the exact source of the squeaking.

Old 01-10-2007, 03:45 AM
01indigoR/T
Professional

yeah, that is wierd, well if it were the brakes it would make the noise all the time because the brake pads are always in contact with the rotor, it would just sound worse off when you apply the breaks. it may be you just need a good greasing under there

Old 01-10-2007, 03:31 PM
Stratusse2001

I had a different noise but a noise coming from driver's side recently when turning and going over bumps, I heard the noise. The performance was never affected but the noise got so bad when I brought it in to dealer they thought I had a elephant under the hood. It turned out to be my CV joint and control arm. Maybe this will help but not sure.

Old 01-12-2007, 06:32 PM
frankenbeans

Brought it into the dealer - Left outer tie rod is "shot". Quoted about $220 for the job. Says it should be done in an hour. Fingers crossed....

Thanks for the suggestions.

Old 01-27-2008, 11:20 PM
stratman2

Todd,

'96 Stratus - 78k miles. I've just started to have similar symptoms on mine. Left-front makes squeaky sound while rotating the steering wheel. It is most noticeable while maneuvering the parking lot/driveway, and has gotten worse over the last few days (or maybe I've just raised my sensitivity to it.)

When I jacked the Driver's side up and turned the wheel (engine running), it made no noise. I greased the upper ball joint while I was there, but once weight-on-wheels -- the squeaky noise returned.

Didyour "Left outer tie rod" repair fix the problem completely?

Quick Reply: Squeaking in steering on L side; '02 with 70Kmiles Help!