Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

2001 Stratus Humming Noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2007, 10:32 AM
Stratusse2001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 2001 Stratus Humming Noise

My wheeling bearing didn't do it on turns. Only when drving straight. It took the dealer like 2 1/2 years to find the noise. They thoughtI was nuts.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:35 PM
BloodRed
Professional

Another idea could be you have a bad belt in a tire. This happened to my wife's car. New tires fixed it. You might want to take your car some place and have them inspected to see if that is the problem. Any tire place should be able to tell you for sure.

On my wife's Elantra, we had a rear wheel bearing go out. It also made sounds pretty similar to a bad tire belt.

Old 03-09-2007, 05:43 PM
skierbri10

ORIGINAL: BloodRed

Another idea could be you have a bad belt in a tire. This happened to my wife's car. New tires fixed it. You might want to take your car some place and have them inspected to see if that is the problem. Any tire place should be able to tell you for sure.

On my wife's Elantra, we had a rear wheel bearing go out. It also made sounds pretty similar to a bad tire belt.
This is a good idea too, I have seen this as well. Again I would check the alignment too, my truck was noisy and it was the alignment.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:13 AM
tomthedog
Captain

i have a 02 se with the 2.7 and 55k's on it. i've had the noise prob a few times. turned out the ball joints and stuff needed to be lubed. had this done about 2-3 times so far. take it down to a ten min lube place and have them grease the suspention. should be $20-30 depending on the place, hope this helps, good luck.

Old 03-13-2007, 08:18 PM
skierbri10

ORIGINAL: Joseph1

On a 2001 Stratus coupe with V6 engine, 22,000 actual miles, noticed a noise that starts around 30 mph and continues to high speed. Noise seems to be related to road speed only - does not change when shifting trans to neutral or running in a lower gear with the higher engine RPM.

It has always had a lot of road noise but the last 2,000 miles this noise is much worse. Tires are Goodyear Eagle LS, 16" and have plenty of tread. Even rotated tires and found no change in noise. It does not seem to be coming from a specific part of the car. I jacked up each wheel and rotated each one and checked for play and bearing noise but none was found.

It does sound like road noise but if so would it suddenly get much worse? It is smooth with no vibration from the wheels. Is there a way to tell if it is tire noise without buying a new set?
Just had a thought while driving today, is it possible that where you live people have been using studded snow tires? If so the road might be wearing down. Just a thought.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:23 PM
Joseph1

The road surface does not affect the noise. I live in Oklahoma so studded snow tires are not used.

Talked to a Dodge service dept. rep and he says if it was a wheel bearing I should hear it below 30 mph. Anyone have different experience?

He also said the ball joints and suspension do not require lube.

He seemed to lean toward tires as the source, even though I rotated them with no change. They have a lot of tread, only 22000 mi and wear is pretty even. The question is how to be sure of that without buying new tires only to find that is not the problem? The noise started about 2000 miles ago. They have always made quite a bit of noise, but not like now.

Old 03-17-2007, 03:29 PM
aselvereo

It is for sure your rear hub assemblys.I have an 01 Stratus does the same thing...Parts are not cheap but they are easy to change.

Old 03-17-2007, 09:37 PM
Joseph1

Aselvero,

Did your Stratus make noise only above a certain speed, like 30 mph?

What exactly has to be replaced and how much are the parts? Would it be one or the other or both? There must be a design or manufacturing defect if these must be replaced at only 22,000 miles. Of course, I don't have the extended warranty.

I have tools and can do mechanic work. Any other tips on diagnosis?

Thanks for your help.

Old 03-18-2007, 04:58 AM
tomthedog
Captain

most newer cars don't have zerk fittings (the nipple that the grease gun hooks to), and hence don't "need" to be lubed. a ten min oil change joint has an adapter that looks like a needle (think football air hole) to put grease into the ball joints. YES, it will put a SMALL hole in the dust boot. what's cheaper, $20-30 for a lube job or changing the wheel bearings/ball joint (i had mine done at a cry dealer in germany under fac. war. for free)? granted i saw high speeds and prob had premat. wear on my suspen., but the grease fixed the noise issue, and it was VERY loud at times. hope this helps.

Old 03-19-2007, 02:45 AM
tacoboy
Professional

My wheel bearing didn't make a noise below 30. It was noisy when driving straight, noiser when turning right, absent when turning left. It doesn't take much turning to aggravate the problem. A 50mph roadway with some turns to it should be a good test. I agree, it is very early for a wheel bearing to go but who knows? Maybe Dodge got it right...the second time...and there is a new bearing out there for your model year!

Quick Reply: 2001 Stratus Humming Noise