Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

won't stay running

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2007, 02:40 AM
01 SE coupe
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default won't stay running

My fiancee has an 01 SE coupe with a 2.4. when i go to crank it...it won't start. if i give it ANY little bit of throttle...it will start up and run as long as i am givin it some gas. the second i let off...it dies. I have kept up on the maintenance..changed the air filter, plugs, change the oil, flushed all the fluids, and changed the PCV valve. I am leaning towards the IAC or the fuel filter, but not 100%. any help would greatly be appreciated!!!

Old 03-06-2007, 03:00 AM
Dougifresh
Default RE: won't stay running

Meh, I suck when it comes to diagnostics, if I was you, I would get a mechanic to check it out before you go replacing things that don't need replaced. If a check engine light is on, I know most autozones can tell with thier diagnostic machines. But I don't know from where you hail. Good luck

Old 03-06-2007, 03:06 AM
01 SE coupe

i'm usually pretty good with diagnosis.....i've been a service writer for 8 years now....even my mechanic is stumped....if it was a chevy or a mustang...i'd know off the top of my head...but i am kinda new to the dodge scene....

Old 03-06-2007, 05:02 AM
B_52
Professional

Keep in mind with the coupe, that you are actually in the "Mitsubishi" scene!
As Doug says, getting codes off the ECU should be your first start.
Almost sounds like a large vaccum leak, but start with the codes and we can go from there.

Vince

Old 03-06-2007, 05:52 PM
01 SE coupe

thanks Vince...i do hear a vacuum leak under the tb...going home and tear it apart tonite! thanks again guys!

Old 03-06-2007, 08:38 PM
skierbri10

Could be a bad fuel punp as well.... When you do get it running is it rough or smooth?

Old 03-07-2007, 02:22 AM
01 SE coupe

it runs great once it is going....i cleaned the tb and it ran fine for about 5 mins. then when i came to a stop....it killed again. gave it a little gas to keep it running to get home and it would die everytime i come to a stop. the RPM's dropped pretty quick too....

Quick Reply: won't stay running