Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

Engine leak problems with Plymouth Breeze (same as Dodge Stratus)

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 12:04 AM
Volitics
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine leak problems with Plymouth Breeze (same as Dodge Stratus)

Hello;

I have a 1997 Plymouth Breeze 4-door sedan. The car has about 200,000 miles. The Breeze is the Plymouth version of the Dodge Stratus I think. The cars are essentially the same.

I have had a problem with oil leaks.

- The timing belt cover has had to be repaired for leaking oil.
- I've had to have the head gasket replaced a total of six (6) times. When a new head gasket has been required in the past the engine had started leaking oil.

Now the car has started leaking oil again. It's leaking at the back side of the engine at the passengers side.

AutoZone has pictures and repair information on cylinder heads and timing belt covers. Here are links to the pages:
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d801ecff4.jsp
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBr...3d801ed093.jsp

Can anybody tell me does the Plymouth Breeze have a tendency to have leaky head gaskets and leaky timing chain covers?

Thanks.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:38 AM
tomthedog
Captain
Default RE: Engine leak problems with Plymouth Breeze (same as Dodge Stratus)

try spraying the eng down at the local car wash. this will help you better see where the oil is comming from. most leaks that are noticed come from the valve cover (top of the eng so it is seen first). you havn't said if it's leaving a puddle or you just see oil on the eng, what's up?

timming cover shouldn't cause oil leaks as it is just a cover, like the hood for the motor(don't have a 4-banger so i could be wrong).

if the head gasket was changed that many times, find a new person to work on your car. the head gasket should be a multi layererd steel (like plywood) gasket. are you sure the head is not warped? if it's the head gasket again it should be done for free. if not call the better buss burr and report the shop. good luck.

Old 03-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Volitics

Thanks for responding.

The mechanic fixed the problem. I had an oil change the other day. The gasket on the oil drain plug broke. Fortunately, it was minor.

I don't think that it was the timing cover that was leaking. I think that it was the seal around the crankshaft or maybe the camshart that goes through the timing cover that was leaking.

You're right about the head gasket. I have not heard anywhere that the Plymouth Breeze has a tendency to blow head gaskets. The car has got 200,000 miles. But still yet the head gasket should not have to be replaced that many times.

The car runs good. It doesn't seem to be leaking compression or anything. The head may be slightly warped, though. Is there any way to tell?

Old 03-11-2007, 10:51 PM
skierbri10

ORIGINAL: Volitics

Thanks for responding.

The mechanic fixed the problem. I had an oil change the other day. The gasket on the oil drain plug broke. Fortunately, it was minor.

I don't think that it was the timing cover that was leaking. I think that it was the seal around the crankshaft or maybe the camshart that goes through the timing cover that was leaking.

You're right about the head gasket. I have not heard anywhere that the Plymouth Breeze has a tendency to blow head gaskets. The car has got 200,000 miles. But still yet the head gasket should not have to be replaced that many times.

The car runs good. It doesn't seem to be leaking compression or anything. The head may be slightly warped, though. Is there any way to tell?

If it is warped, it probably will not run good. Only way to tell is to take apart and look at it.

Old 03-14-2007, 04:58 PM
sfx_1234

To my knowledge I'm not aware of aluminum heads warping. The 2.0 has an aluminum head on it as well as a lot of other parts that are made of aluminum. The engines is a pretty nice engine other than the fact that it's an interferance motor.

Old 07-06-2007, 02:01 PM
aare45

Plymouth Breeze/Dodge Stratus 1997 2.0/98kW ,engine like Neon 2.0/98kW? SOHC ?

Quick Reply: Engine leak problems with Plymouth Breeze (same as Dodge Stratus)