Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

03 Stratus Rough Idle?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 08:00 PM
creamof
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Stratus Rough Idle?

I have a 2003 Stratus SE 2.4L with 53,000 miles. In the past few days it has been idling very rough. Almost like the engine is about to die unless I give it some gas. It does this in park and also while in gear.

I checked the transmission fluid level and everything is ok. Recently we had the transmission control module replaced becase it was having trouble shifting into second gear.

If you have any suggestion please let me know. I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.

Old 03-09-2007, 04:25 PM
BloodRed
Professional
Default RE: 03 Stratus Rough Idle?

I would check your spark plugs and clean your trottle body. Just some ideas to why your car may be running rough.

Old 03-11-2007, 09:38 PM
superstrat97
Rookie

there is a flash available for driveability improvements. it may or may not apply to your vehicle. sparkplug replacement is recommended every 30k, so if you haven't done it it would be a good idea. but really there a lots of variables that could cause your problem, so above all i would suggest getting the car looked at to properly pinpoint the problem

Old 03-11-2007, 10:53 PM
skierbri10

ORIGINAL: creamof

I have a 2003 Stratus SE 2.4L with 53,000 miles. In the past few days it has been idling very rough. Almost like the engine is about to die unless I give it some gas. It does this in park and also while in gear.

I checked the transmission fluid level and everything is ok. Recently we had the transmission control module replaced becase it was having trouble shifting into second gear.

If you have any suggestion please let me know. I would really appreciate it.
Thanks.
Have had a tune up done to it? May need one.

Old 03-13-2007, 02:30 AM
frystak11

ORIGINAL: superstrat97

there is a flash available for driveability improvements. it may or may not apply to your vehicle. sparkplug replacement is recommended every 30k, so if you haven't done it it would be a good idea. but really there a lots of variables that could cause your problem, so above all i would suggest getting the car looked at to properly pinpoint the problem

only 30k on plugs?? WTF?? That sucks. My '03 idles a little rough when I'm in gear.... but if I pop it in neutral it's pretty smooth. only 34k

Old 03-13-2007, 08:15 PM
skierbri10

ORIGINAL: frystak11

ORIGINAL: superstrat97

only 30k on plugs?? WTF?? That sucks. My '03 idles a little rough when I'm in gear.... but if I pop it in neutral it's pretty smooth. only 34k
That's the reality, in the real world spark plugs don't usually last 100k like some people want you to believe. What you might want to try to do is regap your plugs, since they wear down that maybe all you need to do.

Old 03-13-2007, 11:17 PM
superstrat97
Rookie

the only chrysler powerplants that use 100K plugs are the 3.3/ 3.8 all others are every 30K. just think it could be worse for you i just had a customer with e hemi 300c flip out yesterday when they found out that they needed to do plugs on her hemi every 30K(thats 16 spark plugs and 2.5 hours of labor she has to pay for)...ouch[:'(]

Quick Reply: 03 Stratus Rough Idle?