Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

97 strat Head gasket frequency of failure

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2007, 02:33 AM
tacoboy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 strat Head gasket frequency of failure

So at 134k miles is it time to start thinking that my wonderful Dodge piece of crap is going to blow its head gasket on me for a second time? I wasn't the original owner when it happened just after the 36k mile warranty expired (funny how that happened) but I can't help thinking that it's possible that it'll go again given some of the nightmare rides this thing has given me over the years. Did they fix it right at the dealer or was there another "oops here's another TSB" and they finally got it right?

Old 03-22-2007, 01:12 PM
voltork
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 97 strat Head gasket frequency of failure

Do you know if the MLS (Metal Layer Sandwich) was installed when it was replaced? I haven't heard of those going, its the older single layer gasket thatearned the bad reputation. The MLS gasket was installed at the factory after '99.

Old 03-22-2007, 04:04 PM
BloodRed
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 97 strat Head gasket frequency of failure

Any head gasket can go. I am guessing you have the 2.0 that was in theNeons. Just keep and eye on it and check for leaks. Also keep an eye on your oil condition and levels and also your antifreeze. And yes, depending on when the gasket was replaced may depend on if the correct (MLS) one was used. If I remember right from my Neon days, there is a tab that sticks out from the gasket that you can see if it has the MLS one.

Quick Reply: 97 strat Head gasket frequency of failure