Dodge Stratus The Dodge Stratus. Whether you've got a sedan or coupe, base model or R/T, theDodge Stratus has winning looks and thrilling performance.

engine issues on a 2001 dodge strattus.... NEED HELP ASAP

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2007, 01:50 PM
peaches052005
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine issues on a 2001 dodge strattus.... NEED HELP ASAP

ok so my husband and i have a 2001 dodge strattus, we have had engine problems before, and we were under warranty and the financing company put a used engine in there with 45,000 miles on it, when the problem first came up it was making a knocking noise, now 51/2 months later it is doing the same thing again, somebody said it was the altinator belt but i have no clue, so anyone in here who might have the faintest idea as to what it might be? and if it is the altinator belt how much it it to replace and do you really have to take the whole engine out just to replace it?

Old 03-27-2007, 02:05 PM
BadStratRT
The Forum Tyrant
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: engine issues on a 2001 dodge strattus.... NEED HELP ASAP

im pretty sure that engine doesnt have to be pulled to change the alternator. i dont know what body or engine you have, but i dont know that ive seen ANY car that requires you to pull the engine to change the alternator belt.

it sounds like youre getting screwed by your mechanic...its time to find a new mechanic.

when the alternator goes bad, your battery wont stay charged. if the belt is getting hard (as aging rubber often does) you will have a squealing noise...not a knock, unless the belt is frayed and is slapping against the underside of the hood.

will it knock when sitting still, at idle? if so does the noise seem like its coming from inside the engine? you should be able to see the alternator just look at the engine. it will look something like this:

what was wrong with the first engine that they removed? do you keep up on oil changes?

Quick Reply: engine issues on a 2001 dodge strattus.... NEED HELP ASAP