Dodge Viper The almighty Dodge Viper. No matter the year, since it's arrival, the Dodge Viper has made even the most refined car enthusiasts drool. This sports car has it all from a sexy look to pavement shredding power.

Auto trans retrofit?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2007, 10:37 PM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Auto trans retrofit?

Ok, I know this has been discussed in the past, but in a different context. I know that the general concensus is that this is a sports car and should not be offered with an auto trans. A year and a half ago I was in agreement with you. However, **** happens and now I have to use hand controls to drive, which necessitates an automatic transmission.

I have had legitimate plans for quite some time to buy a late '90's/early '00's Viper GTS. I STILL want the car, but the transmission is an obvious problem. So, does anyone know if it is possible to retrofit an automatic transmission into the drivetrain? Is there a trans that is tough enough for the drivetrain? The car wouldn't be raced, of course, just driven on the streets.

I know it will be sacriligious to some, but it's a dead serious question.

Old 12-15-2007, 10:51 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Auto trans retrofit?

I have seen a couple, so it is not impossible, of course nothing is. But get ready to pay up.

I would start by contacting Tators Dodge, if he can not do it he will know who to send you to. They are located on the east coast.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:02 AM
Chet Ubetcha
3rd Gen Ram Moderator
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default RE: Auto trans retrofit?

Cool. So it HAS been done... I'm not looking to do this/have it done anytime soon, but it's good to know that the Viper is still an option. Thanks!!!!

Quick Reply: Auto trans retrofit?