Dodge Viper The almighty Dodge Viper. No matter the year, since it's arrival, the Dodge Viper has made even the most refined car enthusiasts drool. This sports car has it all from a sexy look to pavement shredding power.

GEN I coolant leak (T-Stat)

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 04:33 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default GEN I coolant leak (T-Stat)

I have heard of many begining to have this issue. Below are some pics of my repair. I originally thought it was leaking at the T-Stat, but after tearing into it I found a poor design. The T-Stat housing is not part of the heads or intake, it is its own piece that attaches to the heads, resulting in 2 additional seals, which is what was leaking.

Proceedure (very condensed)
1. Drain coolant, easiest way, remove the lower radiator hose. Drivers side front wheel well is easiest acccess.
2. Remove wipers
3. Remove cowl
4. Remove intake
5. Remove hoses from T-Stat housing
6. Remove T-Stat housing from block
7. Disassemble the housing (I replaced the T-Stat at this time)
8. Clean and put it all back together in reverse order.
9. Fill coolant. When you do this there is no fill on the radiator, you fill at the containter on the passenger wheel well. Also pull the hose off the container at the top (hose that goes to the overflow) and put at least a QT of coolant in the overflow (if it is empty). You can see the level of the overflow from inside the passenger wheel well. Do not forget to bleed the air out of the system, which is a nice feature of the Roe hoses, has a bleeder.

I also opted for new hoses (Silicone Roe Racing). You will find it is almost impossible to get the old hoses off without having to cut them.

[IMG]local://upfiles/15402/F2C079A66DE54D818C256EB5D559D0A4.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15402/153C045C3F9941ECB6BEA5E2AED7A2C3.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]local://upfiles/15402/9E5346C2D0CE46A695FD30FF9A7B2225.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-23-2008, 12:12 PM
CarGuyOhio
Admin formally known as 94rt10ohio
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: GEN I coolant leak (T-Stat)

Back running. Talk about milking a project! I actually have little things I have to do to all three cars so will be going for a week or so to tend to higher priorities since warm weather is around the corner.

One thing I noticed today.... I never turned my wipers on untilI put them back on today. They certainly move different

Quick Reply: GEN I coolant leak (T-Stat)