Dodge Viper The almighty Dodge Viper. No matter the year, since it's arrival, the Dodge Viper has made even the most refined car enthusiasts drool. This sports car has it all from a sexy look to pavement shredding power.

First time potential owner needing advice - valve train noise

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2015, 08:55 AM
cdover73
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time potential owner needing advice - valve train noise

Ive been a long time member here with various trucks mostly. I am currently looking at an 03 Viper and need some advice on the only problem I have found.

The car has 36000 miles and was traded in for a Challenger Hellcat. It is well taken care of as far as cosmetics, runs great, and seems to be unmodded to my untrained eye. The exaust is not aggresive as I would think something like Corsa should be had that been added, speedo seems correct so no gear change(unless flashed), etc. Doesnt even have a short throw shifter.

The only thing I noticed was a LOT of valve train noise after we drove the car and got it up to temp. It was quiet when cold, and I checked the oil before starting and it was about a half quart low (maybe a quart with the bigger oil pan). It sounded like rocker arms with not enough oil on them.Not a heavy knock like a rod going. More of a soft but noticeable clatter. The oil pressure was fine, staying in the 60-80 range. The salesman heard it too and had it "checked" in their shop. All I know is they changed the oil and topped it off and now it doesnt do it. Is this something I should be concerned about? I know clearances open when hot, so is this normal? Is this a hyd cam/lifter car, where there should be very little noise? With that many rockers under the covers I could live with some noise but this could be heard while driving even.

Unfortunately, I am buying the car today, maybe. So if anyone could chime in soon I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks,

Old 01-23-2015, 10:19 PM
cdover73
Rookie

Pics...

Attached Thumbnails First time potential owner needing advice - valve train noise-20150121_125638.jpg  

Last edited by cdover73; 01-23-2015 at 10:30 PM.
Old 01-23-2015, 10:26 PM
cdover73
Rookie

I ended up buying it. Less than retail, 3/36 powertrain Chrysler extended warranty, and insurance is actually $100/mth cheaper than my trade. The noise is still there but not nearly as loud after the oil change. I guess im happy...still nervous and unsure if i made the right choice. I would still like to hear if the valvetrain noise is normal or not...

Quick Reply: First time potential owner needing advice - valve train noise