Exterior Modifications Talk about your rims, body kits, and other exterior mods here.

rust treatment

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 03:40 PM
carguys
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rust treatment

There is a bit of rust on my car. Just curious if any of you have heard of POR-15. I'm pretty sure it helps to prevent rust but does it actually get rid of it? I'm always afraid these products don't really work.
https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/p-14093-17524.aspx

Old 05-10-2007, 01:28 AM
dropride
Default RE: rust treatment

If you want to get rid of the rust you'll have to sandblast it. POR doesnt get rid of the rust but prevents it from getting worse.

Old 05-19-2007, 09:38 AM
millco

I have POR-15 on my '73 Int'l. It rocks!
I have dual 3" SS exhaust on it. I took the bed off and put POR-15 on the frame and bed. I had them spray the POR-15 on the exhaust pipe and mufflers under the bed. They objected saying it wouldn't last a minute or more. I had it done anyway! There was no prep work on any kind done to the pipes and mufflers either.
It is still there today (Over 2 years later). I sure am glad they talked me into covering the last 2 foot of the pipes or so. If we hadn't they would not be the shiney SS that they are today.......
POR-15 is actually cheap, considering how well it works.
Read the instructions! They say what they mean and mean what they say!
I had tried to spray it myself. I thought I'd be fine outside with a breeze. Then after trying to spray it; I thought I would die. Use a painting rated respirator. Follow all the directions! The other products of their's that I have tried have worked equally as well!
Dan

Old 05-28-2007, 12:10 AM
Wanderer
Veteran

It works as advertised, not the run of te mill infommerical garbage Clean the part or frame as good as possible. You do not have to get all the rust off, only the loose peices. POR-15 encapsulates the rust.

Quick Reply: rust treatment